Chapter 34 - Part 2

"You knew?"Julian breathed.

Cassandra gasped as she bumped into Nickolas's bicep, and she realized Julian must have stopped suddenly.

"Of course I knew." Nickolas pushed forward.

"And you didn't tell me? You didn't think that would have been the right thing to do after all we'd been through?" Julian sounded offended.

"Did you expect me to?" Nickolas said.

"You let me think you were dead." There was a slight tremor in Julian's voice.

"You said you had something interesting to tell me. So far, none of this has been new to me." Nickolas's voice was hard.

There was a brief moment of silence. In the dark, there footsteps were thunderous, but the noise was dim compared to the erratic beating of Cassandra's heart. She didn't know what was affecting her so, but she suddenly felt encaged.

"Granger's planning to meet with someone tonight." Julian finally continued. "At a pub on the outskirts of town. There was to be some sort of exchange."

"Who's the someone?" Nickolas's voice was hard.

"I'm not sure I should tell you any more. I'm not sure I can trust you. You obviously didn't trust me enough to tell me what was really going on. I mourned you for months, and you didn't think it was proper to give me some sort of sign? After all our time together?"

"Julian, I trust no one. You're nothing special. Now, tell me."

"It's the Lord Chancellor's assistant." Julian breathed. Nickolas cursed heavily. "What is it?"

"I know what they're planning." Nickolas said bitterly. "We have to move. Now."

"What?" Julian seemed almost as confused as Cassandra.

"We have to get to that pub before Granger." Nickolas said shortly.

"I thought it was only a meeting to exchange information." Julian sputtered, but they were moving again. She seemed to know the urgency even if she didn't understand the reason behind it.

"Exactly. Granger means to bring the nation to its knees before swooping in as its savior. The Lord Chancellor's assistant is bringing him everything he needs to know. He's going to assassinate the queen and everyone close to her." Nickolas's grip tightened almost imperceptibly on Cassandra's hand.

"I don't understand. The queen has guards around her wherever she goes." Julian protested.

"And the Lord Chancellor would know when they change positions."

Silence fell over them, and the close air of the basement was suddenly stifling. Cassandra tried to breathe through her mouth but found no relief there. Whatever mad path this Granger had been on for revenge, it was obviously taking second plate to his bigger plans.

She tried not to think about what would happen if such a man as Granger sat on the British throne. A monster like that would stain the streets red with innocent blood. All the running and injury she and Nickolas had endured over the past several days would be for nothing. They would die, too.

Barely noticing the ragged breath pumping through her lungs, she tried to see Nickolas in the darkness. Even with his skills, there was no way he could save her from something so big. Not this time. She had to show him that she was strong now. He needed her to be that for him.

She was jerked to a halt for half a second before fresh air found her nostrils. They pressed out into the open beneath a broken board. The night air refreshed her, and she drew it in deeply.