Part 3

"Whathave you been doing?" Jenna asked, staring at me from across theliving room. "I've been gone for four hours, and it looks likeyou haven't moved from that place."

"Igot up to cook, but then I had a sudden burst of inspiration, and Ibegan writing," I said, trying to look innocent when in fact, mygrowling stomach just reminded me that I had missed my lunch.

"Giveme that," she said, taking control of my laptop and spreadingout on the sofa.

Iwent into the kitchen and searched the pantry for something to eat.Unwillingly, I heated a can of soup and sat down at the island,looking at Jenna. She seemed engrossed in reading, and I tried todecipher her expressions. After a good 10 - 15 minutes of silentreading, she looked up and asked, "So did you agree to go out?"

"Iwas going to write that when you interrupted me," I answeredteasingly.

"Ihave created a monster!" She walked over, throwing down herarms.

"Onlyuntil tomorrow, I get back to reality on Monday." I haddeveloped hatred towards Mondays lately. Jenna was aware of that.

"Mondaywill be here whether you like it or not. So stop hating your job."

"Iknow. But I will enjoy working where I know it will make adifference."

"Youare donating a part of your earnings as well as time to the charity.I know you like it there, but it does not pay your bills. So stophating your job, or I will kick you out the moment you miss outpaying your share."

Iknew she was joking since, besides my parents, she was the one whowould always look out for me, but I had no plans of being afreeloader either.

"Sodid you agree to go out on a date with Aiden?" she asked,grabbing a glass of water.

Withoutanswering, excitedly, I picked up my laptop.

"No,No, No... don't do that now. I can see the excitement in your eyesbut let's go out shopping and have dinner. You have not stepped outof the apartment today." Jenna pulled me away and gently shovedme towards my room. "Go. Get ready."

"Areyou not curious as to what I said?" I asked, stopping at mydoorway, hoping to get out of the outing.

"Ican wait," she said with a smile.

"Mom,Dad?" Emma called out as she opened the front door. They alwayswaited up for her even though she was 17. She was so used to seeingthem smiling when she entered the house every time, that she couldnot imagine coming home to a dark and lonely place.

"Heyhoney!" they replied in unison. She followed their voice to theliving room. "So who is taking over my job of driving youaround?" her mom asked her with a smile.

"Thereis this guy, Aiden."

"Umm-hmm,"her mom said teasingly.

"Askhim to come and meet me," her dad said, giving her a wink.

"Mom!Dad!" Emma said, shaking her head. "I don't think I am evergoing out with him." And with that, she made up her mind.

Thenext day was a Saturday. After lunch with her parents, Emma wentshopping with her mom. As she exited a store, she spotted Aiden andOliver a few feet away. Emma froze in her path, thinking about theprospect of talking to Aiden as she was not sure how she was going toturn him down. Although she was quick to turn around on her heels, itwas not fast enough as she immediately heard Oliver call out hername. Her mom noticed her swift turnaround and a frown when she heardher name called out and guessed who the boys were. They fit thedescription Emma had given her the previous night.