Part 29

Meghan Polinsky's POV.
Day 21, early sunrise

I padded closer and eventually got close enough to see a small wooden cabin. My eyes welled up with tears of a miracle like joy. I was overwhelmed with every emotion. I felt a sudden relief, courage, hope, shock, happiness.

But I also felt sadness, dread, and fear. Everyone else was still out there alone and cold and if I go to this house it would be unfair to them since— ah screw it. I'll get them once the police are called. A few more steps Meghan. A few more steps to your finally awaited rescue.

I marched up to the door getting weaker by the second. Then it dawned on me. All the energy I have been using has been pure stored energy of survival. Realizing that the closer I get to their front door, I would be saved. So with the idea of others to be awaited I slowly started collapsing. Meghan go. Nows your chance!

I reach the door and grazed my fingertips around the wetted wood. I paid no extra time and banged my fist on the door heavily then weakly before slowly dropping to the ground and welcoming the darkness for the second time in the past 10 hours.

•••
Day 24, midday

"Darren! Shush I think she's waking up." An unfamiliar voice said.

"I can see that Ana I'm not blind!"

Sounds of distant voices flooded my ears and my body started to come back to its senses. I started by moving my fingers then gradually started moving my hand around. I every so slowly blinked my eyes open. As if a truck hit me with memories, I shot up, to a sitting position and screamed.

The two people in front of me jumped, obviously startled.

My body started to tremble as I continued to scream. I was faced with one guy and one girl in a cabin looking bedroom. The girl jumped back and said nothing. But the guy quickly jogged up to me and sat carefully next to me. Almost cautiously.

Why does he look so scared? I thought. Then I remembered I'm still screaming. "Shhh. Your okay...your safe, we won't hurt you." The man reassured me and I stopped screaming but trembled even more than before.

The man had fair skin with a couple of freckles gracing his cheeks and nose. He was very muscular and had various tattoos scattered across his body. His hair was almost black and his eyes were bright honey that held so much life in them. His strong features showed worry as he looked down at me. I brought my eyes to the girl behind him. She had long blonde hair that was braided to the side. She looked about my age too. Maybe younger. But her violet eyes held a distant fear. As if bracing herself for me to scream again.

I quickly snapped my eyes down to my arm as the man carefully patted it. I jumped back and whimpered. Who were these people? Where is everyone and where the fuck am I?

He carefully retracted his hand. "I'm sorry. We're not going to hurt you. Don't be scared... we just need to know why you showed up at our door... all bloody..." He said looking pained just from my reaction.

When I didn't respond he turned back to the girl. "Ana, go get some food I'm sure she's starving."

The blonde girl, who I now know is Ana, frowned and quickly left the room.

He turned back to me and smiled. "I'm Darren." He said politely. I nodded and he chuckled. I furrowed my eyebrows. Why this man laughing at me.

"Not gonna talk?" He said after his stupid chuckle directed at me. Then I realized that this was the house I knocked on the door to...

"Oh my god." These people were helping me. "I-I'm sorry," I said feeling bad I called his chuckle stupid in my head. I felt my eyes well with tears. Why is this my life?