CHAPTER 39

ADAM'S POV:

"I gave her all those." Nate voiced out.

I turned around, not startled because him, Zachary and Drew had been crashing at my place for the past week.

"Why?" I asked turning around to survey her room once again.

Her scent still lingered but it was fading with the passing days.

"She loved them ever since she was a child. Made her feel less alone. Of course, as she grew up she busied herself elsewhere and ignored the loneliness." he tried to smile but failed.

He was now standing near her bed holding a green stuff toy.

"Do something." he whispered ever so quietly.

"We're leaving in an hour." I replied emotionlessly.

"Adam." he looked at me with a strange emotion crossing on his face.

"What?" I frowned.

"You will take care of her after this, right? I can see it, see that you love you her." he said.

My body went still as I processed what he said.

Love.

Do I really love her?

I just knew that I wanted her. No, needed her here with me.

And I will get her tonight.

We found her location by pulling some strings and we are going tonight.

With the police.

The fucker has kept her in an abandoned warehouse near the forest.

***

Later that evening we got in the car and followed the location on the map.
It took us almost an hour to reach there and we parked a few blocks away.

The police car was behind us and they went to hide behind the trees and some surrounded the warehouse.
There were only two guards so they managed to knock them out easily.

Handcuffing the two men, the officer threw them in the back seat.

"Follow us but intervene only when Drew signals you to." I said to the police offers.

"Don't worry Mr. Avenetti. We'll be right behind you." Officer Collins replied.

I nodded at him and we carefully proceeded to make our way inside the eerie building.

So far, there was no trace of men inside. We weren't sure how many men he had with him. Or if he had any.

It's not like we came announced.
There were two floors but the ground floor was useless with only one storage room.

We climbed up the spiral staircase and were met with two hallways.
We decided to divide in a group of four each.

Nate was with me. And we quietly walked down to the one on the right.

Hearing the sound of metal clinking, our feet came to an abrupt halt.

It came from the end of the hallway. We followed the sound along with the two police offers, whose names I didn't bother knowing, hot on our tails.

My breathing picked up as we neared the iron door.

I could hear harsh breathing and muffled voices coming from inside the room.

Nate and I both had a gun in our hands. They were licensed of course.
Inhaling a large puff of air, I threw open the door with those officers on my side.