Chapter 23

I had never contemplated what the penalty for killing a pack member was. However, right now I wished I knew the consequences, so I could make a final decision. Should I kill her or only peel off her skin?

She stood right in front of me, while I sat on the edge of the bed. Her arms were waving up and down, as she was yammering about something. At least I assumed she was speaking, because her mouth was moving. However, I had tuned out her voice a while ago.

Inside my head Shyrin was still gushing about finally being a marked and mated werewolf. My mate bond with Blake was now stronger than ever before. Strong enough for us to feel each other's deepest emotions.

This is why I put up a mental wall inside my head, preventing Blake from getting too close. The last thing I wanted was for him to know my every thought.

In the meantime, the woman in front of me was still going on and on. She was none other than Blake's aunt. While she blabbed onward, I began to imagine wrapping my hands around her neck. Little by little I would apply more pressure, until her eyes went blank.

Now, that would be an improvement of my day.

She marched up to the wardrobe, pulled out a single item of clothing and threw it onto the bed next to me. I guessed it was time for me to turn my hearing back on.

"... going to wear the dress. It was the dress Blake's mother wore for her acceptance ceremony." Her hands were resting on her hips, with her nostrils flaring.

I glanced at the dress a few inches away from me, thanking the Moon it hadn't accidentally touched my skin. Otherwise, I would have to disinfect the entire exposed area.

From what I could see, it was a simple knee-length white dress; a standard clothing item for most Luna ceremonies.

Because Blake and I marked and mated last night, today I was going to be formally accepted as the Luna of Red Moon. The entire pack already knew that they finally had a new Luna and of all the people inside the pack, this woman had been tasked with helping me choose something to wear.

"Nope." The only way she would get me to wear a dress would be over my dead body.

"What do you mean no? You're going to wear the dress." Because I was now her Luna, she was trying to hide her disgust for me.

It wasn't working.

"Nope." I had nothing else to say to her. The one word was all she needed to know.

"Listen, you brat. Stop being a spoiled child and put on the dress." A vein on her forehead began to throb. "You're going to wear the dress for the ceremony or there will be no ceremony. Either you wear the dress or you don't become the Luna."

I sat there, wordlessly observing her. Her smug smile told me she thought she had backed me into a corner. I wasn't sure why she was insisting on the dress, but I also didn't care. There was no way I was going to wear a dress. Ever.

With a deep exhale I stood and walked right past her. I could hear her huffs of protest as I walked out of the room, but I ignored every last one of them. I had made my decision.

Excited chatter was coming from downstairs, making me want to avoid going there. I wasn't in the mood for anyone to continue Bob's mission.

From the sound of the voices and the scents which filled my nostrils, I could tell who was inside the house. There were definitely Blake and my mom, but also the witch and the human.

They were all inside the living room, with the three women on the couch and Blake resting in one of the armchairs. The conversation died the moment I walked into the room and all of their eyes snapped up to me.