Chapter 38

Rogues.

My hair was whirling around my face as I rushed through the forest. My feet were moving with the speed of light while the mind-link still echoed in my mind. Rogues.

I breached into the clearing that surrounded the pack house just as a group of warriors burst through the front door. While most of them ran straight into the forest, one of them stopped. His head snapped sideways and his eyes met mine.

"Luna Ren." He greeted me.

I snorted at his formal greeting. "Easton."

He knew how much I hated being called Luna, especially by my own pack.

"Go." I ordered him before he could say anything else.

Without a moment of hesitation, he sprinted behind the rest of the warriors. My eyes followed his disappearing figure as my every instinct told me to go after him.

I took an unknowing step towards the forest, away from the pack house.

Ren. Shyrin's low warning had me snapping back to reality.

With a huff of irritation, I changed my direction and burst into the pack house. The building was buzzing with life. I almost bumped into Natalie who held a small pup in her arms. She had just been about to leave the house.

"Ren." I sigh of relief escaped her lips as I stopped just in the nick of time. "Is it really rogues?"

"Yes, it is. Easton told me so." Cindi materialized next to her, holding the hands of two pups.

Despite the urgency of the situation, I didn't miss the still present dark circles underneath Natalie's eyes. The love she felt for Jaida would never be gone, but in time she would learn to move on with her life.

We were all happy that she decided to stay with our pack. She was a part of our family and none of us wanted her to leave. She was a member of Red Moon no matter what species she was.

I knew Blake was still trying to avoid appointing a new Gamma and no one tried to force him to make a decision. He needed someone he could trust. I had suggested he pick me, but one look from him told me he didn't find my suggestion amusing.

"Yes, it's rogues." I snapped back to reality. "Go to the safe house. Now."

Wordlessly they both obeyed, leading the procession of pups and elderly out of the building. I stepped to the side, watching everyone as they left. Despite my unwillingness, Shyrin forced me to put on a small smile, reassuring everyone that everything was going to be okay.

From the middle of the crowd emerged my mom. She and Dr. Goode were both disgustingly in love and in the middle of planning their wedding. Despite refusing to admit it, I was actually happy for them. My mom deserved a good life.

"What are you doing? Go." I pushed her back towards the rest of the crowd, before she could even stop next to me.

"What about you?" Her big eyes held mine. "You —"

Before she could continue, Blake's aunt grasped her upper arm. Softly, but firmly she pulled my mother towards the rest of the crowd.

"Don't worry Luna. I got her."

Almost overnight Blake's aunt had become a different person, at least towards me. Against my wishes she welcomed me into her "family". I know I had been the one who forced the change, but I now sometimes found myself regretting it. Her true bubbly personality was making me want to puke whenever I spent too much time in her vicinity.

"Go!" I ordered, relived as I watched their figures disappear through the front door.

I remained nailed to my spot until I was sure there wasn't a single living creature left inside the pack house. Then I walked out of the building. I strained my ears into the direction of the safe house, making sure no unexpected sounds were coming from the said direction.