7 (part one)

Claire scoffed, leaning back on the couch and folding her arms tightly against her chest.

Those words were ringing in her ears. "The wedding is not happening?" She repeated his words. "Or would you rather say, you aren't going to let it happen?"

Hailey's eyes shifted between the two of them, worried, because she hadn't ever witnessed A situation like it before. So she gulped, "Guys.."

"Of course, I ain't." Connor replied, straightening his suit. "I would have used few men to deal with this, but I'm not allowed to."

"What do you mean?" Adam quirked his eyebrows up, and eyes Connor bewildered. "Use men to stop a wedding?"

"Yeah." And then Connor looked down at his fingers. "My dad took away all my possessions except for these expensive suits and clothes. My wallet is dangling off the bridge. My card is hidden away in his office."

"Why would he.. do that?"

"I bought a restaurant." Connor shrugged, "And he didn't like it."

Adam almost barked out a laughter before going back to staring at them and just listening to what everyone had to say. Hailey hadn't particularly told Adam a lot. She just mentioned she wanted to get Claire and her help.

That she desperately needed Claire.

Now putting two and two together, he knew where the matter was heading to, and he definitely knew that something about the way the conversation started out, wasn't gonna end well.

He heard Claire take the deepest breath ever.

"What do you want from me, Connor?" She asked, because she didn't see any point in being here.

"Get Lucas to back off." He gave a tight smile.

"No." Claire said firmly. "What made you think I'd do it?"

"You'll let this happen then?" He frowned so hard that his forehead wrinkled.

Claire gulped. In life, she hadn't ever made the right decisions. She never expected her life to be bright, or gleaming. She just always, always, went with the flow. But this time, she knew this wasn't what she had to do. She wasn't going to do whatever Connor was asking her to. And for once in a life time, she knew, this was right.

"Yes." She breathed through her mouth, the word barely made it out. "Yes." she repeated, "I am a no one. I have absolutely nothing to do with what's going on. Shit happens, Connor. And I always let it. Because shit is happening in other's life, not mine. I gotta look at what I have, be glad, and move on. Nothing more, nothing less."

He groaned, rubbing his palms over his face. "Are you being serious right now?"

"I.. actually agree with Claire." Adam licked his lips. "The least we can do is, attend the wedding, wish you a good life and leave."

"No!" Hailey exclaimed, grabbing their attention all together. Claire just rolled her eyes at that, and huffed out. "No, I mean, you don't even know what's behind this wedding, what the reason is, and you definitely don't know who's idea this is."

Claire raised her eyebrows. "Who's?"

"I'm saving it for later. Right now, listen to me, either help me make this wedding impossible, or just turn my life a living hell."

She didn't know what to say. There's nothing Claire can do. Or more like, there's nothing she wants to do.

She didn't want herself getting involved with Brady Clark again. It's a nightmare. And after all these years of him growing even powerful? Never. She didn't even wanna be anywhere near him.

She didn't even wanna breathe in the same city as him.

So, Claire kept her head high, looked at them through narrowed eyes, before blurting out, "I can't help you. Find anyone who would wanna deal with this other than me. I'm here to congratulate Hailey and Lucas." She pressed her lips together for a second, before saying, "Congratulations on the wedding, Hailey."