Chapter seven

Chapter seven

"What the hell is that, Amber!" He scans my scar without touching it. I choose to remain silent since I don't have an explanation made up.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Who did it?" He asks and brushes his hand on it. I quickly push him away and flinch. It fucking hurts, Caleb. He narrows his eyes and looks into mine.

"You scare me," I say, not leaving his gaze.

"Why?" He furrows his eyebrows, totally confused.

"Because I tell you things that I've been hiding all along." I gulp after telling the truth. I made friends in my previous schools and towns but no one knows about my parents, no one cared to know. No one knows about Charlie. Just one guy does- Caleb. It's just been a day but when I'm with him- he makes me feel different, worthy- as if the mistake that I did before, never happened. I forget about everything. Most importantly, I forget about Reggie.

His gaze softens and he slides his hand around my other side of the neck. "Then tell me. I'll protect your secrets. Who hurt you?" He broaches. I can't say this to anyone. If he finds out, he'll throw me away. He'll push me away from everything. He might even try to contact Reggie. This can't happen.

Before I could say anything, my phone rings from my back pocket. Caleb steps away from me when I attend my mother's call.

"Amber, come here, quickly. Things have worsened. I need your help," she panics. I can practically imagine her walking frantically around the hallways. My heart drops at her words.

"Is dad...is he...?" I couldn't complete the sentence. "Just come here!" She says and I run downstairs without any word to Caleb. He follows me and says a quick goodbye to Laura while I try to unlock Charles' car. He drags me into his jeep and we ride off after I tell him the address. I start fidgeting with the hem of Caleb's hoodie.

"He'll be fine," Caleb tries to soothe me but my eyes are glued at the road. I am completely paralysed. If me dad leaves me, so will mom because she doesn't care about me at first place and if Reggie finds me alone, he'll kill me.

I jump out of the car and run to my dad's room. Caleb follows me. Mom is standing near him and turns around when Caleb and I enter. She looks at Caleb with disgust. I shouldn't have brought him here. Ugh, damnit.

"What happened to dad? Is he okay?" She pries her eyes away from Caleb and looks at me.

"He is fine. I need to go to my office. Take care of him until I come," she says nonchalantly and grabs her purse from the table. The nerve of this lady!

"Why did you panic then? It scared me, mom," I complain but my voice cracks for no reason. Ugh, I hate when my voice cracks. It portrays as if I'm weak.

"Otherwise you won't come here in fifteen minutes. Oh, and next time when you're fucking any guy-" she eyes at the hoodie I am wearing, "-make sure you wear some better outfits of him at least. Anyway, bye." She walks away before I could even process what she said. Did she really think I was having sex with him? That's never even going to happen. She is the one who was having sex with some man last night, not me. I let out a deep breath and walk toward dad. He is asleep. I wonder who gave him blood.

"Is she always like-" before Caleb could ask his question, I reply. "Always." He mutters something but I fail to catch it.

There is a long silence between us until he comes and stands beside me, watching my dad. A question suddenly rings in my mind.

"Why didn't you go to school?" I ask in a low and shallow voice. He scratches the back of his neck. "I had some work to do."

"As in bake with your mom," I joke but he doesn't laugh. He is too focused on my dad. I watch him as he looks at my dad with tender eyes, probably feeling bad about his condition.

"What work?"

"I don't need to share everything with you, Amber," he raises his voice slightly and then looks away. I remain quiet. He is correct. He doesn't need to share everything with me just like I don't.

"Are you and Charles brothers?" I question and he huffs. He shoots daggers at me and clenches his fists.

"Ugh, you ask so many questions!" He yells and walks away. What the hell? Am I the one to ask questions? He is the one too interested in my life! He is asking questions about my past, Charlie, my opinions on him and love and even about my hideous scar!

Why does he have to pretend to be so caring if all he wants is some pass time? I'm not talking to him again!

(My Award book reached 1.01k reads. I wish someday this book will, too)

 I wish someday this book will, too)