Chapter 5-Flashback

~~~~~~~~~~Flashback~~~~~~~~~~

      Kitsune stared at the home where her grandparents had lived. She saw purple smoke and dark flames everywhere. What happened to my grandparents? Kitsune wondered. Why is there smoke and fire everywhere? Where is my brother? Aren’t only demons able to summon dark flames? Questions swirled through Kitsune's head, disappearing as fast as they appeared.

      As if by magic, Aren appeared. Or so it seemed. Hello, weakling. Aren cackled.

      “B-brother?” Kitsune asked timidly.

      Ha! If I was your brother, would I call you weakling? Hmm… on second thought maybe I would, but think. I’m talking to you telepathically. Duh.

      Kitsune laughed, “Stop teasing me, Aren. You’ve always been able to speak to me like that. You promised you’d teach me today!”

      Aren raised his eyebrow. Oh? Seems I’ve underestimated my host yet again.

      “Host? B-b-but only demons and gods can do that….” Just as Kitsune uttered those words, Aren disappeared in a cloud of dark purple smoke.

      When the smoke dissipated, Aren wasn’t there anymore. At least, not as Kitsune knew him. He had red eyes and hair as pale as Kitsune’s, which, since they were siblings, wouldn’t seem weird. Except Aren usually looked liked their parents, with amber eyes and jet black hair.

      Kitsune screamed, “What did you do to my brother?!”

      Nothing, the Aren who wasn’t Aren attempted to smile innocently, but with his red eyes and pale, shoulder-length hair, he only managed to look creepy.

      “Liar,” Kitsune Silver glared. “Tell me, or I’ll summon Eun!”

      Eun? That fox was trapped in a hair pin millenia-Ran stopped. Is that the fox pin?

      This time, Silver smiled innocently, “Maybe, maybe not. Do you really want to find out?”

      She was supposed to die!

      Smirking, Silver chanted, “Eun, watashi wa anata o shokan! (Eun, I summon thee!)”

     Red and white smoke swirled behind Silver. Out of the smoke stepped a large yet adorable white fox with red markings and eyes.

      *Loud growling* KITSUNE I WAS HAVING A PERFECTLY NICE NAP WHY DID YOU WAKE ME- huh? Ran? Eun stared.

      Yep, it’s me~ Ran said cheerfully. Missed m-Oof!

      Eun pounced on Ran. You! How could you?! You got those silly humans to trap me in this tiny… pin and you think I’d be happy to see you?

       Meh. Why not? It’s not like I was happy being trapped in those weird horns…

       Eun laughed. Which you’re wearing right now.

       Ran’s face turned beet red. S-shut up!

      Whatever, “Dark One”. Eun teased. Taking on a more serious tone, she asked. Seriously though, why did you come here?

       Oh right. Nearly forgot! Hey Kitsune, isn’t it your birthday? Ran asked curiously.

       “Uh…. yeah. How did you know?” Kitsune asked, confused.

       Tsk tsk tsk. I’m your brother-kind of. Anyways I have a birthday present for you~

       Kitsune backed away slowly. “I-I-I don’t want a present from you!”

      It’s okay. I insist. Your birthday present will be… hm… oh! Of course, this is perfect. Ran cooed with pleasure.

       Kitsune, still confused, asked “What are you talking about?”

     Oh, nothing. Except I’m going to make everyone and everything forget about Aren. No biggie. Now… let’s get this party started! Ran summoned a mass of demons, commanding. Stall them. I need time to properly cast and prepare the spell.

      Oh no you don’t! Eun leaped towards Ran and smashed him into the ground, while Kitsune fought off the demons. You are so not making everyone forget about Aren!

      Says who? Ran sneered. Three… two… one… Forget.

      Kitsune collapsed. “Stars… I see stars and pretty, colorful lights…” she murmured.

      Eun cried. No! Tentai! The large fox charged through the demons surrounding Silver and gently nudged Kitsune. Wake up. Please… I can’t lose another friend…

~~~~~~~~~~End of Flashback~~~~~~~~~~