▼ Siblings ▼

Having a sibling impacts a child's social skills positively, fostering traits like agreeableness and sympathy. Research suggests that having a sibling in adulthood can reduce depression and anxiety. Positive sibling relationships contribute to overall happiness.

You spend more time with your siblings than with anyone else. A study by Pennsylvania State University revealed that by the time children reach the age of 11, they spend approximately 33% of their free time with their siblings.

》A study has found that siblings aged between 3 and 7 years old engage in conflicts approximately 3.5 times per hour.

Having a sibling of the opposite gender increases the likelihood of adhering to gender norms and rules.

Individuals with siblings tend to develop better interpersonal skills. Younger siblings often look up to their older brothers and sisters, learning valuable coping mechanisms for navigating challenging situations later in life.

》Having a sibling of the opposite gender can often help someone secure more dates.

》Evidence suggests that firstborns tend to have slightly higher IQs than their younger siblings. Some researchers attribute this to factors such as parental age at the time of birth, while others argue that firstborns may have received more resources and attention from parents during critical developmental stages.

》Studies have shown that 65% of mothers and 70% of fathers exhibit a preference for one child over another. While some non-favored siblings may use this situation to their advantage, research indicates that it can have detrimental effects on their self-esteem and confidence in the long run.

》A child's personality and behavior can influence how parents treat them. Parents typically show more affection toward children who are pleasant and affectionate, while directing more discipline toward those who exhibit unruly or deviant behavior. Due to girls' tendency to be warmer and less aggressive than boys, parents often favor daughters over sons, although this pattern may not hold in patriarchal cultures.

》People often form relationships with partners who share the same birth order as they do. For example, if you're a middle child, you might be more inclined to marry another middle child.

Favoritism is more likely to occur when parents are under stress, which can range from marital issues to financial strain. Under such circumstances, parents may struggle to suppress their true feelings or ensure fairness among their children. Some researchers suggest that when resources are scarce, parents may prioritize children who show the most potential for success and reproduction.

》A Swedish study discovered that individuals who grew up with siblings were less likely to become overweight compared to those who grew up as only children.

》If an older sibling is on the autism spectrum, a younger sibling may be at a higher risk of developing autism as well. However, researchers have encountered challenges in accurately determining the exact risk.

》A study conducted by Ohio State University revealed that each additional sibling (up to 7) reduces the likelihood of a person having children with their partners in the future by approximately 2%.

In large families, younger siblings often exhibit more extroverted traits than older siblings. This phenomenon may stem from their experience of navigating interactions within a larger sibling group, where they need to assert themselves to garner attention. Similarly, this trend can also manifest in smaller families for comparable reasons.

》A study of 390 families conducted by Leiden University in the Netherlands found that younger siblings tended to display more rebellious and aggressive behavior compared to their older siblings.

》Research suggests that younger siblings are less likely to develop eczema and other allergies compared to their older siblings.

》Research indicates that for each son a woman gives birth to, the probability of the next son being gay increases by 28% to 48%.

Interactions with siblings play a crucial role in shaping individual personality development. Conflict resolution skills learned with siblings can impact other areas of life, affecting our ability to form relationships and work with others. Some studies suggest that birth order among siblings may also influence personality traits, but this remains a topic of debate.

Key birth order traits of firstborn children:
Go-getter
Responsible
Role model
Determined
Rule follower
Hard worker
Cautious
Bossy
Timely

Key birth order traits of middle children:
Adaptable
Social butterfly
Dreamer
Generous
Creative
Rebellious
Competitive
Funny
Great negotiator

Key birth order traits of youngest children:
Risk-taker
Outgoing
Dependent
Persistent
Fun-loving
Charming
Easy-going
Free-spirited
Spoiled

Key birth order traits of only children:
Mature
Loyal
Independent
Confident
Leader
Cautious
Curious
Sensitive