22 | Revelations

Miesha

Entering the pack hall felt like I'd just been knocked over in a giant flood. It had been such a long time since I'd shared the company of so many... the noise... the light... each laugh, each breath seemed magnified and sent my ears ringing in distress. I felt myself zone out, everything paling into the distance as if I were suspended in time.

Panic attack.

I was in sensory overload. Verging on a downward spiral, my chest constricted with each breath. The quickening thudding in my chest sent my blood pulsing like an electric current, my whole body felt wired and contorted. If I'd been in my wolf form, my shackles would well and truly be up.

"Remember what I said outside, Miesha." His voice was soothing in my ear, a softness wrapped in strength.

As much as I felt the complete opposite, I held myself with confidence as we walked around the room together side by side. There were no hushed whispers. No awkward gazes. Just a pack who were enjoying each other's company. I took my time taking the scene in, Gabriel remaining silent as I perused the room.

Timber tables... fairy lights... It felt rugged and rustic. A large fireplace glowing at the hearth of the room reminded me of my own home as I watched the symmetry of shadows flicker from the embers.

My moment of reminiscing halted as we neared James and his mate, who were both enraptured by the child in his arms. Holding onto his daughter who was nestled in the crook of his elbow, I could see what a loving father he was.

Surprise and curiosity provided a welcome distraction to my homesickness, "Oh, so this is the wee one I hear so much about?!"

James' face lit up as he turned to us, "Muhammad Ali! I am so glad you could join us! Please, this is my mate Clara," and bopping his finger on her button nose, "And this one... this is our daughter Abigail."

Leaning forward, I embraced Clara, kissing her cheek to cheek, "Nice to meet you Clara, I have heard so much about you."

"Likewise Miesha, James tells me you are shaping up to be one of the strongest warriors we have had here at Cross Rivers..."

"You never know, I might end up showing your Alpha here how it's done..." I winked, nudging Gabriel playfully as he held his hands up in mock surrender.

"Oh that reminds me Clara, I made Abigail something small... It's nothing special, but it is a tradition from my pack. I hope you like it. I chose yellow, it represents..."

As I gently lifted the crocheted bonnet from my purse, Clara finished my sentence, "Abundance, courage and self-confidence. It is beautiful... I will treasure it always. Thank you."

We left James and Clara to share their moment with others, as we continued to roam around the room. Spotting Neve by the bar, I walked over as Gabriel was pulled into conversation with another male. Seeing me coming over, she smirked as she took another swig from her glass, "Want one?"

"No thanks, but thank you." I felt terrible. It had been too long between seeing her that I realized just how much I missed her company.

Pulling up a stool beside her I smiled, "Listen, I didn't really get a chance to say thank you for everything you have done since I've come here."

"Don't sweat it. It was good times... You've given our pack a renewed strength, we can all feel it."

There wasn't a trace of doubt in her words, but I still struggled to believe her. Letting out an awkward chuckle, relief washed over me as I saw Adrienne coming over to join us.