22

Damien's POV

Beads of sweat trickled down my face, my skin burning from within. My eyes shot open, revealing nothing but darkness. The covers were at the end of the bed and ruffled, probably from all the turning and tossing I had been doing. I checked the time on my phone and noticed that it was 12 a.m, which meant that I had only been sleeping for an hour and a half.

I decided that I'd go for a run to ease my mind. I got dressed into a sweatsuit and sneakers and left my bedroom. As I headed towards the door, Nico called out from the kitchen, "You good, bro?"

After clearing my throat, I answered, "Um...yeah. Just going for a run."

"At 12 a.m?" Nico asked while leaving the kitchen and walking to me. He had a glass of water in his hand.

"Yeah...can't sleep," I nodded.

"Mind if I come with then?" Nico asked, causing a slight frown to form on my face.

I nodded, "Sure, I guess." He was already in sweats and a tee, so I figured he'd come in that. He sipped some water before placing the cup down on a mini table that had a vase on it.

"Let's go then," he said, and we left out the door. We then started on a light jog where we were just silent, but I knew he tagged along because he wanted to talk about something. "I know we haven't been hanging out a lot recently. I hope that hasn't changed our friendship."

I stopped running while frowning, and he stopped running as well. I shook my head, "We're both working. Of course we're gonna be busy."

He nodded, "Yeah, but every time I get a day off, I spend it with Natalie. You and I haven't really hung out the way we used to."

"It's cool," I shook my head. "I don't feel a type of way or anything."

"Good," Nico nodded. "You, Justin, and me should still have a guys night out. We haven't had one in months."

I faintly smiled, "Sounds dope, but I don't think that's the only thing on your mind."

Nico chuckled, "Should've known you'd pick up on that..."

"Yeah," I chuckled. "What's up, bro?"

Nico sighed, "I know I made it a bit weird the other day when I walked in on you and Sa kissing. I want you to know that I'm happy for the both of you. I think you're a right fit for her."

"Really?" I asked shyly. I had been really nervous about whether Nico truly accepted Sagacity and me being together.

Nico nodded, "Yeah, bro. You two should take it slowly though. I know it's kind of not my place cause it's not my relationship, but you recently got out of one, and she doesn't really have experience like that in dating."

I chuckled, "You're worried that we're gonna have sex and then be done with each other."

Nico chuckled, "To be honest, yeah, a little. You and your last girl used to go at it often, which I'm obviously not judging cause Nat and I are the same. What I'm trying to say is-"

I caught on, "You think that because I haven't had any in a while and that because I'm fresh out of a relationship, once I get some from City, I'll basically be done with her."

Nico shook his head, "I don't think that...I'm just worried that it may happen. I trust that you don't wanna hurt her...but..."

I nodded, "I understand, Nico. It was already a plan of mine to take things slowly with her. I don't even know what's gonna happen with us in two months. She's going away to college, and I'll be working. I don't know if she'll want to continue the relationship as much as I don't know if I should let her go by then so that she can have a limitless college experience. For now, we're not sexually engaged- well, except for..."

Nico frowned, "You two had sex already?!"

I shyly replied, "Not entirely...I might've-

"Ah! Ah! I don't wanna hear," Nico yelled, and I chuckled at his response because he used to torture me from time to time by telling me his wild stories with Natalie.

"Tongue and fingers, on my part," I smirked, finally getting payback on him.

Nico chuckled, "Dickhead."

I chuckled, "Now you know how it feels," and we both burst into laughter. "So...we good?"

Nico smiled widely, "Yeah, bro, and as for what'll happen in two months, I say just enjoy each other's company and build as strong of a relationship as possible with her. If you both push each other away, it'll be easy breaking it off, but if you two really bond during the two months remaining, you'll both have something worth fighting for."

While dapping Nico, I smiled, "Thanks, bro."

Nico nodded with a smile, "No problem. Now, why the hell are we on a run at 12 in the morning?"

I chuckled before answering, "Trouble sleeping. Remember one time when you asked about my parents and I told you I didn't wanna talk about it?"

I didn't plan to tell Nico the full story, even though I trusted him with my life. I honestly just didn't like talking about my past, but I wanted to vent a bit and let my best friend know what was going on.

"Yeah," Nico nodded. "I know it's a sensitive topic. You don't gotta tell me if you don't want to. I just wanna make sure you're good."

I smiled appreciatively and informed, "My mother abandoned me a few years ago, and the other night I was out in the city with Sagacity and could've sworn I saw a glimpse of her across the street. Shit's messing with my head a little, not gonna front."

"Damn, man, I'm sorry you're going through this. How much of her face did you see? Did she see you too?" Nico replied.

I shrugged, "I don't even know if it was her. I only saw the side of her face before I lost her in the crowd. I was probably seeing shit, but at the same time, I had felt someone staring me down. That was why I had even turned my direction to across the street. It's fucking weird as hell."

"Word," Nico agreed. "She could've easily approached you if that was her that you saw. I don't know. For now, don't stress it, but if you think you see her again, then I guess you can talk to Rico about it."

I agreed, "Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't stress about it right now."

"One more thing," Nico said, causing us both to chuckle. "I noticed that you and Sa were kind of holding off on showing affection for each other when we were at he beach. Y'all don't gotta do that. If y'all wanna kiss, I don't care. You don't have to hold back, I'm fine with it, really. I don't want either of you feeling uncomfortable when I'm around."

I smiled, "I appreciate your support. I really do. I've honestly had a thing for her for two years now."

"I started peeping last year," Nico chuckled. "I mean, the way you two drifted apart when she got a boyfriend kind of rang bells for me, but even after they broke up, you never attempted to get close to her again. That's when I knew."

"And you never said anything?" I chuckled.

Nico laughed, "In my defense, neither did you."

I laughed while nodding, "That's fair."