Chapter Seven

Song - Every Breath you take 

I think this song brings a perfect creepy vibe for the story 😍
***

There wasn't much time. A few days after that incident, in the dead of the night, I packed my duffel quickly. The clothes that I'd been wearing in the house for the past week were all bought by the family, so I couldn't take them with me. Although I was tempted to take the few dresses that I knew I wouldn't be able to afford once I didn't have this job, but I didn't touch those outfits.

I hadn't even been around long enough to get my first paycheck.

I kept telling myself it was alright because my ultimate goal was to live through this. The family was fucking crazy, and I didn't want to be part of this anymore. Devin knew what happened with Barbara was murder, but he'd chosen to stay silent. He was protecting someone, and he was dragging me down with him.

This was some kind of twisted family conspiracy.

Staying on this property for almost two weeks had taught me about most of the exits within the mansion. The servant's quarter's stairs were the easiest way out of here. The only question was how I was going to walk through the courtyard without being seen, and the worst part was going to be convincing the guards to let me through.

Or...I could walk through the woods and find the road. Either way, it was still going to be a challenge.

I was going to be back to square one, and how foolish of me to think this was the best job I ever had. Of course, there was a catch. There's always a catch. It had been too good to be true.

I looked at myself in the mirror once before running my fingers through my dark hair. I didn't even have time to comb them. Then, I tied the laces of my sneakers and I was ready to go, but my feet wouldn't move forward, it's like fear had frozen me in place.

Where would I go from here? What awaited me in the future?

I told myself that I would get through this just as I have for every other situation.

I opened the door of my room and closed it behind me slowly, making sure I wasn't making even the slightest sound. I tiptoed down the hallway and onto the first floor and then made my way to the kitchen. I didn't have much money, but I could at least use some food on my way to nowhere.

I found ham and cheese in the fridge, so I made myself a quick sandwich because a girl's got to keep her priorities straight. I wrapped the sandwich in a saran wrap and dumped Dr. Pepper and a Coke into the bag. Next, I attacked the pantry and threw packets of salted peanuts, pretzels, and potato chips into it. I felt guilty for stealing so much food, but I didn't know how long I was going to be living on the streets with no job and nowhere to go and there was no chance in hell I was going back to my uncle's. I'd rather be homeless than go back to that monster.

Remembering the past disgusted me.

"Hey sweetpea, remember Bruce? He'd like to say hi to you. Now be a good girl and take care of Bruce for me, okay?" Uncle Mark slurred as he barged into my room that night.

I looked up to find Bruce leering at me, and I heard the sounds of his belt jiggling and knew what was coming next. Uncle Mark told him one hour only, and that he was doing him a favor this time. It would be over soon...

I brushed off all those thoughts and walked out of the kitchen. I'd studied the route that the maids usually took when they went into their rooms in a connected outbuilding that was also part of the mansion. I successfully found the stairs I was looking for and I made sure that no one was following me before going forward.