Chapter Twenty One

Castle was insatiable.

We made love two more times that night before we fell asleep at dawn in a tangled mess. Castle's left leg was pushed against my body in a possessive way.

That unfamiliar glint in his eyes had faded, and the old Castle had taken charge, and that was the strangest part of the night. I wondered if I'd imagined it.

My brain hadn't conjured up him whispering 'Millicent' in his deep husky voice that it still gave me the tingles and a bunch of butterflies took flight in my stomach as I kept rewinding that moment in my head like a tape.

There was a brief knock on the door and before I could even answer, Penelope entered the room. I was embarrassed by my lack of clothing, and honestly, it was a little uncomfortable about being promoted from employee and thrust headfirst into the seat of the mistress of this household. I used to be one of them, and now I wasn't.

Mrs. Millicent Montgomery.

The name had a nice ring to it.

She didn't even look up as she wheeled the breakfast in, bowed, and left the room.

I guessed that was the routine since the time Castle slept here alone. Now that I was going to share the room, nothing was going to change.

I had to wake him up and force him into the bathroom because he would rather stay naked and in bed than get on with the day's activities.

After his bath, he sat on the bed while I stood between his legs and combed the tangles through his thick, wet hair. Even though I was his wife now, my duties remained the same. I wouldn't let anyone else do this because I loved every second of it. He watched me intently. His light brown eyes glimmered in the sunlight that streamed through the window. There was something so intimate about the moment, in the comfortable silence of companionship.

Castle's hand slipped slowly into my bathrobe and caught one breast in his hand. I laughed, "Can you please stop? I'm trying to concentrate on your hair." But he wasn't listening. He circled my nipple, and with a possessive tug on my waist, he covered his wet, hot mouth over it.

The comb just slipped out of my hand, and my fingers replaced where his comb had been, making a mess of all the tangles I'd just removed. "Castle..."

He lapped and suckled like he'd die if he didn't, and moisture pooled between my legs. I cupped his face and his mouth met mine in a soul-sucking kiss.

We were breathless a few minutes later and staring hard at each other. "What happened to you last night?"

"What happened?" He repeated.

I bit my lip. Should I ask him or should I let it go?

"You called me Millicent," I said.

"I did?" He asked me, his brows furrowed in confusion.

I watched his expressions to see if he was being honest or lying and I could only see sincerity. I wondered if Castle was a talented actor and I was curious to find out.

"Yes." I kissed his cheek.

"What did I say?" He asked, not breaking eye-contact.

I could have sworn I'd seen a glimpse of the old Castle last night, the Castle that had all his memories intact and who knew far more dark secrets than he was letting on. The Castle that was dangerous and calculative, who had been running the Montgomery empire. That man had excited and frightened me in equal measures. While I hoped Castle's memories came back, I was also scared of the consequences. Somewhere deep down, I wondered if I really wanted to awaken the old Castle.