Chapter Eight

This Gorgeous edit for Theo done by littleboxofcharms ❤️

***

My leg throbbed with the unbearable pain and when I touched my leg, I found blood on my fingers. I had a blurry vision, but I could see Castle hovering over me, trying to help as best as he could. You could tell from his expressions that he was upset with the turn of events and was frantic to help me out. I wanted to scream at him since he was the reason I'd gotten stuck here in the first place. If he hadn't followed me from the mansion, I would have already been across the lake and catching a cab.

Devin had laid the traps here on purpose so any staff that left the property wouldn't be able to cross the forest and I'd fallen right into it. I should have known that escaping from here wouldn't be so easy.

What have I gotten myself into?

What did this twisted family want from me?

"Castle, step aside," Devin ordered him, the rifle slinging against his shoulders. "You're making it worse for her."

"You sick bastard!" I yelled at him.

"There, now Millie. I would suggest you control that smart mouth of yours. I'm your boss and I deserve the respect, besides, you're the one who was trying to break the rules of this house and our contract when I specifically told you that breaking rules have dire consequences." He informed me in a calm tone, "We have traps laid around in the forest for wild animals, and I should apologize that you got caught up in it, unfortunately."

He was lying through his teeth and I knew it. He wasn't sorry about anything.

"Greg, call Dr. Walker, and have him see Miss. Davis in her room."

Greg was another one of the house servants who came forward to pick me up which is when I noticed how he limped a little on his right foot. Devin raised his hand to stop him from approaching me, "I haven't finished talking to her."

Greg stopped where he was and stood there with a solemn expression was on his face like he'd gotten accustomed to seeing employees getting caught in animal traps. It seemed like Greg had seen a lot of other things and learned to be numb to everything.

"Sir, we found her bag," Winston said.

Devin snatched it out of his hand, "Now what do we have here?" he asked teasingly and then opened the duffle bag and emptied the contents of it on the ground.

The sandwiches, the drinks, and snacks fell from it, along with my personal belongings.

Devin laughed, "out of everything that you could steal, this is all you could think of? Millie, the pair of shoes that Dayana gave you the other day alone costs over a thousand dollars. You could have taken those instead." He gave me the boy-next-door smile, the same one that I'd mistaken for charming the first time I'd met him. "But I do love honest people, and that's the reason I hired you that day."

"Please let me go." I cried. "What do you want from me?"

Devin leaned in and tipped my chin upwards to gaze at me, his emerald eyes that I thought were beautiful once, now looked vacant and devoid of humanity. At that moment, I just knew that he was far more capable of worse evils. In a dangerously low tone, he promised, "You'll soon find out what I really want from you, Millie."

My blood ran cold.

He was likely going to use me for something sexual. I was so sure. He was a predator, just like uncle Mark. The only difference between the two was that Mark was poor and doughy around the middle area, and Devin was wealthy and gorgeous.