| I. Obanai x Reader | Tears for the Wedded [3/5] (AU)

Lol I hope y'all don't mind the reader having an actual personality, I know how dare I

• • •

The two strangers stood in silence as the door was slammed closed before their eyes. The woman's words a mere faint echo that they had no real intention of following.

Mitsuri debated with herself on whether or or not she should chase after her friend, but a more appealing option came to mind once she saw the man next to her. Staring at the closed door with a gaze of curiosity, perhaps debating with himself whether or not he should chase after her too, to grab her hand in middle of the ball with words of pleading upon his lips as his-

Or perhaps that's just her eyes doing tricks on her again, reading the world like a romantic novel.

But it didn't matter, this was her chance! Her chance to find someone for her lonesome friend!

"Her name's [L/N] [Y/N]!" She eventually blurted out to Obanai, her voice strangely determined. "You...you should go after her!"

Registering her words, the man looked at her with bemusement. "Like in the novels?" He asked impassively, if not only with just slightest bit of mocking in his words.

"Yeah!" Mitsuri affirmed without shame. "Trust me you won't regret it! She's wonderful!"

But to the girl's great discouragement, the man merely shrugged and turned away from her, seemingly to have lost interest.

"I'd rather not," he sighed, eyes glazed as he looked over the field. "She doesn't seem welcoming and I can't say I care that much."

Mitsuri's expression saddened at that, lips turned to a frown in disillusion, her hand clutched at her chest in despair as she sought for words to persuade this man.

"She...she has great stories to tell!" The girl continued in desperation. "She's a writer you see! A great one! That's her job actually."

Thinking back to the woman, Obanai did indeed remember her fingers being stained.

"Her family supports her writing everyday?" He asked.

Body flinching at the question, Mitsuri grew hesitant to answer, it suddenly felt wrong to her, doing this. Telling this stranger her friend's story, revealing to him things she only found after weeks and months of trying to pry open the girl's shell. They were like gold, the little things Mitsuri knew about her friend, and she treasured them deeply, and one does not simply hand away such things...

But then she thought back to her friend's pained voice, tired and hopeless, as if the world had already burned away everything she held dear, only relived once Mitsuri puts a smile on her face.

But...

"No actually..."

Mitsuri can't always be there for her.

"Her family disowned her years ago, she's living by herself right now, writing everyday..."

She needs someone else! She needs a lover, a man, a husband. How else can she find happiness?!