S L U S H E E

S L U S H E E

J U N E  1 9 9 8

It's been way too short of a time for me to feel comfortable with my newfound residency at Glow Fields. I've been here for maybe a day, and I'll be honest, all I've done is slept.

My new 'home' for however long I stay here before going into my Senior year, is along the shoreline with a bunch of other crowded businesses trying to get passerby's attention.

I live on the second floor of my dad's new shop. My mom and dad move around the world with me and every few months we start a new business. I've learned not to make friends because once the shop is ready, dad sells it for an overpriced amount of money and we move again.

What can I say, his system works, and he thinks that this spot will be perfect to sell if he gets residents to love it.

I haven't had a friend other than my family in years....

I walk up the stairs in the back and go through the doors to my room. It's small, but since we are on the shoreline I have a window that looks straight into the ocean.

I don't usually have anything special in my room. I use an inflatable mattress that lies on the ground and that's it. There isn't really a point of making anything pretty when you leave all the time...

"Kelca?" My dad asks as he knocks on the white door. "Yes...?" I say, Leaning against the window and watching people walk along the empty road, walk along the sand, or walk along the the deep blue waves.

My dad slowly walks in. He has dark curly hair, which I have as well, though mine isn't naturally curly like his. He's rather young since he had me with my mother at age 16. At least I made it past 16 without getting pregnant, or having sex, or having a boyfriend at all.

The only thing I've done is I got my first kiss when I was four, though of course I don't count it.

It was in preschool right before I moved. This guy named Jack came up to me and kissed me on my lips as a goodbye.

"I... uh..." he scratches the back of his neck, "I need to call the bank and then I need to make calls to our suppliers and I was thinking maybe you could go out? I just don't want you to bother me-" he says nervously and I nod, backing away from the window.

It's fine, he kicks me out a lot when he and mom are gonna either... y'know... or when he needs to stock the shelves, because he gets way more frustrated than necessary when he stocks shelves.

It would be funny if he didn't get angry at me everything two seconds while doing it.

"It's fine dad, I get it. I'll walk to a grocery store or something.." I say, going over to my bag and picking out my clothes.

"Okay.." he mumbles. He's always loved me a lot, but not known how to talk to me sometimes. He struggles with that.

He soon leaves my room, practically starting to cry as he walks down the stairs to stock shelves.

I sigh, putting on some shorts and a shirt before making my way out of the brick building. I wave to him on my way out, pushing the door open and hearing the bell ding.

It's quite an annoying ding...

I'm met with what seems to be pounds of sunlight hitting my face, along with my arms and exposed legs. Unfortunately it hits my eyes too. I winced covering my face with my hand and running across the busy street. It's not busy with cars though, it's busy with groups of friends walking, skateboarders, bikers, and surfers.