Chapter 57

It feels like roots have grown beneath my feet and burrowed their way into the ground, locking me in place. My body stiffens and my breath stills as all of the most powerful Plutonians on this planet fix their domineering gazes on me.

"Please carry on with your briefing, Commander," General Grievous waves a hand towards Commander Inspiron. 

She clears her throat and reads from the sheets of paper in front of her. Her words pierce the air like needles and they are so shocking, I almost forget to breathe. 

"A group of twelve humans attacked a Plutonian officer in the cafeteria during their breakfast session. All of the slaves were above the age of eighteen and their numbers were approximately from the same batch as officer Aria. They claim that the Plutonian officer had abused one of their friends which lead to them ganging up on him."

The whole thing sounds so absurd. I've never seen anything like that in the entire eleven years of being here. 

"This is the third incident. The first one occurred on the tracks just one day after officer Aria's speech. The humans in the wagon assaulted two amateur Plutonian officers which lead to a blood bath. The humans were killed and only one Plutonian survived," Commander Inspiron says and I swallow hard as my fingertips go numb from apprehension. 

This happened after my speech?

"Perhaps officer Aria would like to take to the floor? Since we are talking about her," Lazarus turns around in his seat and casts me a wicked smile. This is the first time I've seen him so happy since we've been back from the mission. 

"Good idea, your honor. Officer Aria, kindly take the stand," Commander Inspiron instructs and I have no choice but to obey. 

My squad members cast me worried looks as I leave them and walk to the front to stand behind the podium. My body is shaking but I keep myself steady and face all the Commanders with a placid expression.

"The second incident occurred a mere three days after officer Aria's speech at the human quarters. A group of humans of mixed age groups tried to break down the doors keeping them inside after work hours. This has resulted in significant damage to those doors requiring extra maintenance. After thorough interrogations, we have learnt that the humans believe officer Aria is being abused. They think she was forced to lie during that speech."

"I can't believe we wasted resources in building new quarters for all those ungrateful humans. We should have left them in the South to work till they died," Lazarus berates angrily. 

"That doesn't make sense economically. Unless you plan to bring in a thousand new humans every month to replenish those who died for nothing," Lucian snaps. 

The tension in the room grows tenfold, I am certain that if one of us had a knife we would be able to cut through the air.

"Let us get back to the issue at hand. The reason for these rebellious acts have to be understood and extinguished immediately before it spreads like wild fire." Luna's mother speaks up for the first time and her pale eyes are focused on me. "Your speech was prepared for you, correct?"

I nod my head but when the Commanders glare at me I answer through the speakerphone. 

"Yes."

"Then how did it create such a back lash? The purpose of the speech was to encourage humans to join as fighters but instead they have started fighting against us," She says. "Please explain yourself, officer Aria. What do you think of this?"

I clutch the edges of the lectern hard and swallow my apprehension. My eyes briefly flit to Lucian's face and I see him staring back at me looking worried.