Chapter 65

"Aria, you can come in. The machines won't bite," Cassandra says and then she laughs when she sees how nervous I am. 

The truth is I have been nervous for the past two months, ever since I found those files and reports in Lucian's computer. However, 'S' hasn't made contact since then so I've been carrying around these secrets quietly and sometimes I worry that they may eat me alive.

The only other person who knows about this is Rosie, that too because I told her in the freezer during one of my shorter shifts. She was just as clueless as I am and needless to say that conversation didn't make much of a difference.

The only thing I can do now is wait for 'S' to deliver another message and to meet up with the rest of the so called 'Sect' which is what Joon calls their freezer group consisting of Matt, Jade, Josephine, Rosie, and a few others. 

Rosie called me this morning saying that I'm needed tonight so I'm praying that that means 'S' has finally sent another message.

"Umm, Aria? You there?" Cassandra chimes and I quickly revert my attention back to her. 

"No, you go ahead. I'll wait here," I say as I place my hands under my thighs to keep them from jiterring. I agreed to accompany Cassandra after work for her follow up appointment with her doctor but going in seems like an invasion of privacy. That and the fact that all the hospital equipment around us and the smell of sterile disinfectant creeps me out. 

I've never liked being here in the medical facility. 

"It will be nice for her to have someone around," The Plutonian nurse says to me and I look at her apprehensively. 

"Really?" I'd much rather sit out here but I know Cassandra has been going for all her doctor's appointments alone since she's a paramour and Commander Physus isn't expected to accompany her. It's not like she's his wife anyway so why does he need to bother. 

I feel a prickle of irritation spread across my skin and quickly brush it aside not wanting to make Cassandra feel bad about it. She's already gone through so much because of me and her childhood pictures filled me with pity. 

"Okay, but I'm warning you, I might freak out at any given moment and run out the door," I put my hands up in surrender and stand up. Cassandra beams at me in happiness and grabs my hand. 

We walk into a brightly lit room and the strong smell of disinfectant immediately fills my nostrils. I scrunch my nose and follow her to the long hospital bed located in the center of the room. 

Cassandra climbs on top of it without any instruction and then lies down on her back looking like she's done this many times before. I look around at the pristine white walls with a few pictures and diagrams arranged on one side. 

The nurse walks in and closes the door behind her. She walks over to a large machine with a monitor and presses a few buttons on it's keypad. 

She has her back to us so I mouth the doubt in my head to Cassandra quickly. 

"Is she the nurse? Paternity test?" My mouth exaggerates the movements of those words so that she gets my message and she shakes her head. 

"Nope," She mouths back. 

Somehow that makes me feel slightly relieved. 

"Mistress Cassandra, paramour of Sergeant Commander Physus?" The nurse speaks loud and clear, talking to the monitor more than she is to us. 

"Yes," Cassandra replies loudly.

"Voice recognition successful. Mistress Cassandra kindly lift your shirt," The nurse says and then she presses onto a button.