Chapter 29: Meeting Itachi Once More

The wind howled through a dark and winding cave as water dripped from the stalactites on the ceiling. Three figures stood around a mutilated body in deep contemplation. "What do you think Reaper?" Silent Mist asked.

"Hmm...Same as the other four. The lacerations and depth of the strikes suggest it was done by the same perpetrator." Reaper replied indifferently.

"Are you two thinking what I'm thinking." I said to Reaper and Silent Mist. "Mn." They both nodded.

"Most likely, it was done by Sojobo." Reaper replied.

"So, the great ancient Tengu Sojobo decided to kill the other four ancient Tengus? Why would he?" Silent Mist inquired.

"Not sure. He has the greatest bounty on his head so he's definitely the most dangerous of the ancient Tengu. Well, I suppose he's the only ancient Tengu left alive now. Perhaps he was driven mad or perhaps these four offended him somehow? We don't know what the nature of the relationship between these five Tengus were. When we scoped out the area ruled by the Tengu Sojobo there wasn't any traces of him living there for the past five years. Judging from this body he probably died a year or two ago." I theorized.

"There's nothing else we can glean from the body, shall we destroy it like the others?" Reaper asked.

"Mn. I'll get rid of it. We'll head to the new meeting point that Lord Third designated for his agents." I replied.

"Okay, we'll be right outside the cave." Silent Mist and Reaper said. I nodded as they left the cave. I shifted my mask to expose my right Sharingan as it slowly transformed from the standard three tomoe pattern to a dark black swirl with six tomoe in the surroundings. "Mangekyou Sharingan! Amaterasu!" Scorching black flames completely incinerated the dead Tengu's body in a few seconds before disappearing into the void leaving no evidence of any sorts. The Mangekyou returned to that of the standard pattern as I covered my right eye with my mask once more. I took one final sweep making sure nothing was missed before walking out of the cave to join Silent Mist and Reaper.

"Ghost, seems like the situation has changed a bit." Silent Mist said as he handed me a note.

"Oh? Did Lord Third send a special messenger hawk?" I said as I took the note.

"Lord Third has asked us to head to Tenchi Bridge instead of the meeting point to observe. We are to return to the Village afterwards. Apparently when the Kazekage was kidnapped Sakura fought against a member known as Sasori. Sasori ended up telling them that he had a spy by Orochimaru's side and that they were supposed to meetup. Since this was the case Konoha managed to convince the Sand Village not to reveal the truth about Sasori's death until after the meet. Lord Fifth sent Yamato-sensei along with Sakura, Naruto, and a new member called Sai." Silent Mist said.

Eh? I exclaimed in my head. If I recall from my past the meet up was supposed to happen soon after they rescued Gaara. Why is it happening so late this time? Did Sasori change the date to meet Kabuto or was it because the capture of Gaara happened a bit earlier than it did in the past? It's already been a few months after Gaara's capture. So, it indeed seems like the events I know of are slightly changing. After reading the note I nodded my head in acknowledgement of the new order before destroying the message and said, "Alright, let's go. We have four days to get there. We can make it in three if we leave now."

"Mn." Silent Mist and Reaper said as we dashed off towards the Village Hidden in the Grass where the Tenchi Bridge was located.

Fwish Fwish Fwish! For the past couple days three figures dashed through the woods at high speeds when one of them immediately came to a halt.

Thud Thud.

Both Silent Mist and Reaper halted as well atop the trees. "What's wrong Ghost?" Reaper asked.