Chapter 3

"Jesus," JD shook his head, letting out a huff of air. "Where are you from anyway?"

Oh jeez.

Danielle thought about the pros and cons of telling JD the truth. On the one hand, she'd have someone to talk to and understand her situation, but then there was the problem of the truth being totally bat shit insane. There's no way in the world he'd believe it.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," Danielle said with a bittersweet chuckle,"It's insane."

He raised his eyebrows and gave a reassuring smile,"No such thing as insane, try me."

Danielle gripped at the fabric of her tucked-in tshirt and sighed,"Okay,"she started,"I'm from the future. 2020 to be exact." A moment passed after the words left her mouth and she brought her gaze up to look at JD.

He closed his eyes and his brows raised higher. A snort left him and he wiped an eye with his finger. "That was the most insane thing I've ever heard," he said snickering. Danielle deflated and looked down at the ground."But," he spoke again after his laughter died down,"I believe you." He looked sincerely at Danielle and for a moment she thought her ears were playing some kind of trick on her.

"Wait, really?" She asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," he nodded,"It would explain a lot." He nodded to nowhere in particular,"I've seen that thing you drive. Thing looks like a friggin spacecraft, I've never seen anything like it," he gave a breathy chuckle,"the same could be said about you, everything about you is just other-worldly."

Danielle couldn't believe it. He believed her. She didn't know if it was because of the stress of the situation or the relief of having someone understand her, but she burst into a fit of laughter that slowly shifted into sobs. The image of herself in her head made her laugh even more though, so she just sat there laugh-sobbing in front of JD.

He stood there quietly, letting her get it out. Once the tears stopped, Danielle groaned and ran her fingers through her hair, a nervous habit of hers.

"Damn, this is fucked," she sighed. He nodded with his lips pulled back in a thin line. "I don't know what I'm going to do. All I have is my truck, my phone, and a bag of clothes. I have nowhere to go and I have no form of income. I'm alone here."

JD put his hand on her shoulder and she relaxed,"You're not alone. I'll help in any way I can. Hell you can crash at my house if you need, my dad won't give a shit."

Danielle looked back up at him in bewilderment,"Really?" He nodded in response, bringing his hands into his pockets.

"Yeah, it's no problem."

She closed her eyes and sighed, shaking her head slightly,"I-just.. wow thank you.That's- wow " she let out another exasperated laugh.

He chuckled the way he does and smirked,"If I were suddenly thrust back to a time where I wasn't even born yet, I'd want someone to help me too." And with that, he pulled out a cigarette and lit it, taking a puff and blowing smoke the other way before offering it to Danielle. She didn't normally smoke cigs, but after all she'd been through she figured she could use the edge.

After the bell rang, JD handed Danielle a piece of paper with his address on it and told her she was free to come after school and stay as long as she needed. She thanked him once more before making her way to her next class.

About halfway there she decided to head to the bathroom, she hadn't peed in like 48 hours and it was starting to hit her. She pushed the door open and turned to go into an empty stall when she was met with the Heathers, who all had their backs turned to her.