I'm in a Dream

I'M IN A dream

I'M IN A dream.

I know it's a dream because it's the same dream every time.

It's the same dream that no matter how hard I try, doesn't seem to disappear. Whether it be with drugs, alcohol, sex, nothing can destroy this fucking dream.

I'm drowning.

Not drowning in a swimming pool or a lake or something.

No, none of that.

I'm drowning in a bathtub.

I'm pressed down against the bottom of the tub, thrashing and gasping to get up. My arms are free, and I'm trying desperately to claw my way to the surface, but the hand holding me in place is too strong.

Do you know what it's like to drown? It hurts. A lot. The way your lungs fill with water as you struggle to catch a breath. Your limbs tire as the oxygen is washed out of your body, and the icy chill of the water now clings to your muscles. Even your eyes hurt as they strain to see through the turbulent water.

I don't need to see who's drowning me, though. It's the same person in my dreams—the same person who actually tried to drown me.

Though my hearing is muffled from the water, I hear my name.

"Atlas."

That's new. No one has ever said my name before.

"Atlas!"

Someone rests a hand on my cheek, and it's enough to pull me out of the dream. I blink, dazedly, until I realize that I'm sitting upright, a weight against my chest. There's a loud blaring sound somewhere and an intense heat. My vision swirls, and I'm dragged into the tub again, struggling to breathe.

"Atlas, can you hear me?"

There's a flash of bright light in my eyes, and then the weight is lifted off me. My lungs fill with air, and I gasp.

But there's a problem...

I can't feel them...

I can't feel...

I can't...

The world is swallowed up in darkness.