And, Now, Here We Are

IT TOOK EVERY ounce of my willpower not to run to Atlas the moment I laid eyes on him

IT TOOK EVERY ounce of my willpower not to run to Atlas the moment I laid eyes on him. He was pale and tired but awake. And alive. That intense, honey-coloured stare created a serious case of deja vu as I stepped into the hospital room. A few weeks ago, I walked into a hospital room, much like the one he's in now, to visit him. We had been so innocent then, so naive of the horrible situation we now faced. Now I held a bag of drugs in a hospital to save not only Atlas but his sister and nephew. 

Guilt had pushed me into that room then, and guilt pushed me into the room now. Those nostalgic feelings solidified into a hard knot of fear when my eyes met Jason's.

Seeing him standing there, holding Sam as if he were a normal, present father, made my skin crawl. His blue eyes were like icicles as they latched onto me, piercing my skin and capturing my attention. I couldn't even look at Atlas, even though I felt his gaze. If I looked at him, I think my courage would have failed.

I don't know where my strength came from. I don't know how I managed to convince him to give up Sam. The kid was his biggest bargaining chip. And yet, when he handed the baby back to June, the pressure in my chest loosened. My plan might actually work. All we needed to do is get outside to Desiree's car, and then Jason would get what he wanted and think he got off scot-free. By then, hopefully, Atlas, June and Sam would be safe.

Until Jason decided to bring Atlas along. 

I wished Atlas had still been unconscious so he wouldn't be further in danger. Still, the only way to get Jason out of the hospital, away from the other potential victims, was to agree to bring Atlas.

I'd thought for sure the guard would have realized that something was up when he approached us, and while I was desperate for someone to step in and save us, I also didn't want Jason to do anything reckless. But he was more concerned with Atlas, who had fallen silent by the time we reached the main level.

Concern shot through me as I focused on Atlas. He was pale, his cheeks sunken, and his eyes glossy. He'd only just woken up from a near-death experience, and yet Jason dragged him out of bed prematurely. I wanted to reach out to Atlas, to comfort him and tell him everything would be okay.

I didn't.

With Jason's heavy grip on the back of my neck, I couldn't even give Atlas a reassuring look. All I could do was give his shoulder a small squeeze.

Just hold out for a little longer, I thought to him. We're almost through this.

And, now, here we are.

The main level of the parking lot sits under a three-level parkade. As we step outside, I lead Jason out to the lower, quieter level. I told Desiree to park in a corner, tucked away and hidden, not to draw any attention. If all went according to plan, Jason would take his stuff, leave and then the police would deal with him. They'd agreed to wait until Jason was far enough away from the hospital to act. They had enough evidence with what I gave up to arrest Jason and take down his whole operation.