Chapter 8- First Day

Chapter Eight- First Day

First period went by like it always did at a new school. Watching. No, not the lesson, but the people. See, you gotta know what the others do so you don't stand out at first.

Turns out it's like any other school. The overly into the lesson kids, the ones who sleep through the whole thing, and the guys who are right in the middle.

See, normally I'd try to stay right in the middle of the pack, but I'd already been singled out by the teach, so no point in not dozing off. I mean my sleep schedule is so fucked up, might as well cram in some well needed naps. Plus, I don't dream when I doze off in class, so it's a win-win.

"Hey." A voice whispered.

"Psst! Earth to Jayden!" It whispered again.

I blinked, realizing I was in the classroom, and it was Ashton trying to wake me up before class ends.

"Good morning. That some nice bed hair you got goin on there." He said sarcastically as I fiddled with my hair.

"Yeah, yeah." I groaned, guessing which way to fix my hair, probably making it worse.

"Here lemme get it." Ashton offered, reaching towards my hair. I panicked, scooting my chair away.

"N-no it's fine." I whispered. He furrowed his brow, confusion and concern etched onto his face.

"Ah, don't worry it's just one of my pet peeves." I lied easily. Ashton visibly relaxed.

"Oooohhh, sorry, then." He apologized sincerely. I smiled.

♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎

By lunch, I'd already managed to piss of 2 teachers and almost grab myself a detention.

"Hey, Jay! Oh, that rhymes!" Grayson said, approaching with a stupid grin.

"What?" I asked, not bothering to be friendly.

"Oh, just checking in, you know, seeing how your first day's going." He said.

"Well, pretty sure Mr...Lopez? And Mrs. Jones already fucking hate me, and Mr. Barnes almost gave me a detention. This is the best behaved I've been in years." I said, not even exaggerating.

"Oh, that sucks, but I think you'll like Mrs. Kate. She doesn't really mind, you know, bad behavior, no offense." Grayson smiled softly.

"None taken. Now, what do you guys do for lunch?" I asked, changing the topic.

"Same spot as breakfast. I gotta take a piss, so I'll see you in a little bit." He said, moving to go around me, giving me a little shoulder nudge as he waved goodbye.

I froze up again, hating myself for being so goddamn weak. I tried as hard as I could to suppress the flashbacks, but it's so hard.

"Hey! Hey get the fuck off the floor!" My dad yelled, kicking at my nearly unconscious body as I prayed to lose consciousness.

"No son of mine gives up like that, now get up." His voice lowered. I knew that tone by heart. No amount of his 'soothing' jazz could calm him down.

I struggled to open my eyes and pushed as hard as I could with my right arm. He'd already broken my left one. I eventually got into a sitting position and made the mistake of glancing up at my "father".

He snapped, beating the living shit out of me as I groaned and cried out in pain, once again praying for it to end.

I was limp on the floor when I heard a woman gasp.

"Oh my gosh, Patrick, what the hell are you doing to my son?!" She yelled.

"Nothing, just teaching the brat how to behave." He shrugged.

I think they continued yelling I couldn't really tell because the world had blurred, along with my hearing, until it was just black.

I shook myself once I knew the memory had stopped. My cheeks were wet and I was shaking so hard. I tried to control my breathing, finding a wall and sliding down to sit, closing my eyes. I felt nauseous.

Ugh, what about lunch with my friends? I have to go or else they're gonna ask and I'm not in the mood to talk right now.

I suddenly felt uneasy, the feeling of being watched setting in. I brushed it off, standing up after a minute or so and heading to the cafeteria.

"Hey, man!" The ginger, Jackson, greeted me with a wave.

I took a seat at the same table as we did that morning.

"Where's Ashton and Isaac at?" I asked the two who were at the table.

"No clue. Probably talking about some project or whatnot." Daniel answered in his deep voice.

"Sorry for leaving you waiting, boys, you miss me?" Grayson winked at me, sliding down too close next to me. I tried to subtly scoot away, succeeding.

"No." I deadpanned as he pouted.

"So, how's you're first day going, newbie?" Jackson asked, changing the topic.

"Okay, actually. I think only 2 teachers hate me so far." I answered honestly as the ginger laughed.

"Seriously? Already?" He chuckled again, stopping and smiling when he saw Isaac and Ashton.

Grayson's face also lit up at the sight of their friends. Daniel remained unfazed.

"Hey, guys! Where've you been?" Jackson asked Isaac and Ashton as they took their seats.

"Last minute project things." Isaac answered blandly. I turned back around to face the rest of the table, thankful to get the end seat.

I dug into my sandwich, the bread stale, but better than nothing. I felt a pair of eyes on me, so I looked up and saw Isaac, obviously deep in thought. I wiggled my eyebrows at him and he flicked his gaze back to his lunch. Weird.

"Oh, Jayden, what club are you joining? We've already started the semester, so your options are kinda limited." Isaac started.

"Well... I don't really know yet." I said honestly.

"Well you better get deciding soon. I'm on the student council, so I'll get you a list of options."

I nodded, turning back to my mediocre lunch.

————

let me know if you like the story so far! also I would appreciate it if you'd tell me what you like/dislike about it, because I wanna know what you like so I can write better. thanks!