39

Maddy awoke drowsily. The bed was empty and hard. Her arms searched for the missing body that should have been in them. Her hands instead hit hard ground.

She darted up, now awake. Why was there cold hard ground beneath her hand? Was she still on the streets?

Was Xavier just a dream? Had he just been a manifestation of her desire to be loved?

Tears dripped down from her eyes. Somehow she had learned to love that dreamworld in her head. She had so quickly fallen in love with Xavier.

She wanted him back. She wanted to be wrapped in his warm loving arms. She wanted to be loved for once in her pitiful life.

"Oh stop crying would you little pest," a woman's voice echoed, bouncing off walls.

Maddy's head shot up. A soft light filtered in through a door before being snapped out as the door was closed.

She  was not on the streets. The light from the door and the fact that she was surrounded on all sides by walls proved she was in a room. That was a relief. Maybe the dream world was real then.

Maddy winced as her head was suddenly forced up by a hand. It was a woman's hand, soft and smooth yet strong with sharp nails toned into claws. The claws dug into her skin as her chin was held up.

"That dress looks very beautiful on you. The King has been treating you exceedingly well I presume," the woman mused.

Maddy felt relieved. So Xavier was real and not some desperate work of fiction in her head.

"Would you please let go? You are hurting me," Maddy said, trying to be as polite as possible.

She knew she had to play nice and sweet. They had every advantage over her. They could see in the dark, she was blinded by it. They probably had back up as well.

If she was in some room, whether or not it was in the castle, the woman had passed security. She had to be dangerous to at least some degree.

Maddy knew she couldn't fight. The forest was different. Lily was distracting the vampire and had wounded it. She didn't have Lily where she was now. A fight could be fatal.

"Are you making demands from me? I think you have gotten the balance of power wrong, little pest," the woman seethed.

Maddy held her tongue. She hated it when races, that actually seemed to matter in the hierarchy, looked down on humans like herself. She was however, not in a position to protest.

Maddy moved around. She was getting uncomfortable on the hard ground. A few weeks of soft bedding and cushioned thrones had made her realise how hard and painful the ground really was. Her position had her muscles getting all painful. She so badly wanted one of Xavier's nice massages.

She heard chains moving with her movement. She shook her wrists to check and sure enough the chains jingled like coins in a pouch being shaken round.

She felt crushed. A few seconds earlier she was secretly convinced she was just being complacent for self preservation but suddenly it turned out that she really had not had a choice. She was stuck in place by chains on her wrists.

She began struggling, yanking and pulling on the restraints. She jerked around, attempting to fight as well as she could.

She could not get free. She had never felt so helpless in her life.

"Charles would you be so kind as to light the torches. I think the little pest would feel more comfortable if she could see," the woman said.

"Do not mock m—!" Maddy exclaimed.