Christmas

Several months after Eurus's game, Sherlock, Margaux and Vaughan spend their first Christmas at 221B as a real family.

All the best, guys!

*

The fire crackled in 221B as lights twinkled in the Garland that lay strewn across the mantel. They glittered in the reflection of Mrs Hudson's sherry glass as she sat back in an armchair, flushed cheeks and a tipsy smile. The flat was calm and warm, comfortably quiet as the remnants of their small Christmas Eve party lay scattered around the living room.

Margaux sat on the floor with a pile of presents at her side, a roll of wrapping paper spread out in front of her and a strip of sellotape between her teeth. She was humming a Christmas song as Mrs Hudson tried to sing along, tapping her foot and making up her own words.

"Oh." Mrs Hudson sat up slightly. "What's that one that goes 'do do do do, do do do do'..."

Margaux stopped wrapping as she thought for a moment. "Paul McCartney?" She began to sing. "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time..."

"Ah that's it. Did he do that other one that goes 'do do do do'?"

"No that's John Lennon. War is Over."

Sherlock emerged from the landing, making his way into the kitchen as he listened to them.

"Oh well they're both Beatles," said Mrs Hudson. "I was close enough."

Margaux laughed.

"What about 'do do do, do do do do do'?"

"Wham?"

"Oh yes of course it is."

Sherlock stepped into the archway with a raised eyebrow. "How are you possibly guessing correctly from a couple of 'do's?"

"You're not the only one with an encyclopaedic brain," she replied. "Go on, hum any song and I bet I'll guess it right."

"I don't hum."

She rolled her eyes and continued her wrapping while Mrs Hudson poured herself a top up. Sherlock walked past them towards the window, neither paying much attention to him until a melody began to play. Margaux turned to see him with the violin to his chin and smiled before snapping her fingers and pointing at him.

"Carol of the Bells."

He stopped playing and glared at her.

"Give me a challenge, Sherlock."

He thought for a moment and drew the bow across the strings. Only a single note rang in the air when she called out again.

"Tchaikovsky."

He huffed and put the violin back in its stand as Mrs Hudson giggled behind her hand. He walked over to his armchair.

"Oh, careful," said Mrs Hudson.

He looked down to see a small plastic doll tucked between the cushions. He picked it up and examined it for a moment.

"Oh, John's forgot Rosie's doll," she continued. "No doubt he'll suffer trying to get her to sleep without it."

"Mm." He walked across the room and picked up his scarf, wrapping it around his neck and reaching for his coat.

"Where are you going?" asked Margaux.

"To give it back to them."

"Now?"

"They only left half an hour ago."