06 | eridanus

"STELLA?"

"STELLA?"

Stella had seen the birth of stars, the death by black holes, the brightest of supernovae, and light-years' worth of wonder, but she was sure that the look of recognition that slowly dawned on Axel's face, was among the best sights of the universe.

Because it wasn't just the disbelief in his gaze and the astonishment in his parted lips that had her thinking it was remarkable.

It was the awe. Complete and utter awe.

Yes, an angel's presence always had mortal heads turning- but it never invoked complete awe.

There was always a shred of doubt or disbelief- maybe a hint of envy that accompanied some of the awe, so this- the look in his eyes, as if he was looking at a sky full of stars- had her heart melting.

Hardly anyone had looked at the stars like that.

And absolutely no one had looked at her like that.

But there was always him.

If anything, it only made her smile widen.

"It's lovely to see you again," she says gently, with a  soft smile, "I'm glad to see that you seem to be doing better."

He blinks. Once. Twice. Almost as if he's expecting her to disappear the next time he opens his eyes, but she simply stands there, watching the realization sink in.

It takes a few more seconds- but then, he stands, nearly knocking his chair over backward, as some heads turn because of the sudden movement.

"You're an angel," he says, taking a step towards her, as a hand of its own accord reaches forward, almost grasping hers, before he pulls it back, clenching it into a fist by his side, "You- You're an angel."

"Thank you," Stella gives him a smile that's as angelic as it is innocent, "That is very kind of you to say."

"No- you- you're an angel," he breathes, his eyes raking up and down her form as if he can't believe that she's in front of him, "A literal angel."

"As I said," Stella presses her lips together to prevent her smile from widening, "that is very kind of you to say."

"No-you-" Axel reaches for his pocket, but his fingers only grab at the air.

Confusion furrows his brow, as he looks down at the feather that was gleaming and twitching in his pocket, mere seconds ago-

-only, it isn't there anymore.

"What the-" Axel's jaw drops for the second time, as he looks down frantically patting his pockets- his gaze searching the ground for a trace of the gleaming snow-white, tinted with gold.