Chapter 31: The Winter Festival

The day of the winter competition had arrived, and Sokka was a healthy mix of nervous and excited for the festivities to begin. Katara, Aang and him had spearheaded the last-minute addition of the fair to the event, hoping it would cause more northerners to come down and see the south for themselves.

Sokka had of course been the head of setting up the food stands and ensuring the best cooks from their tribe were manning them. If there was one thing the southern water tribe could beat the north with, it was their oh so delicious food.

"Time to see if all this work paid off," Katara said walking up next to her brother with Aang. A large passenger ship was pulling up that had the signature northern tribe insignia painted on the side

The ship slowly pulled into the dock. The three followed Hakoda to meet the northern water tribe chief and the competitors.

"It is an honor to have you here chief Arnook," Hakoda said to which the northern chief bowed and said in a surprisingly sincere way, "The honor is all mine, to finally start reuniting our tribes through friendly competition and entertainment."

To Sokka's shock, there were a lot of people from the north getting off the ship behind the chief, way more than they had anticipated would make the long journey.

"We're gonna need some more seating and activities," Sokka whispered to Katara sarcastically.

"I think Aang and I might be able to help with that," she replied with a grin. Her and Aang excused themselves and ran off to do who knows what, but Sokka hoped whatever it was would impress chief Arnook.

Sokka took his place next to his father as the two discussed the events planned, but something behind the northern chief's shoulder caught his eye. He had to take a double take before he realized what he saw was real. Walking off of the ship and onto the dock was the moody firebender he had fallen for.

"Zuko!" Sokka shouted and ran to greet his boyfriend. Without thinking he hugged Zuko so tightly he wasn't sure if he could still breath.

"Uh, Sokka," Zuko whispered in his ear and Sokka immediately let go and realized what he had just done. He looked around and his father and Arnook were looking at him like he had lost his mind, and other people looked confused but kept walking.

"Fire Lord Zuko," Hakoda said in a way that made Sokka uncomfortable, "we weren't expecting you to join us for the winter festival."

Zuko looked like he had seen a ghost and Sokka had to elbow him to bring him back to reality.

"I am only here as a visitor chief Hakoda," Zuko said and Sokka could see he was shaking slightly, "if I am not welcome here, I understand and can..."

"Nonsense, everyone is welcome here," Hakoda said and his serious expression gave way to a welcoming smile.

Sokka and Zuko both sighed in relief before excusing themselves and heading towards town.

"What are you doing here?" Sokka asked and he could tell Zuko had interpreted it the wrong way. "Not that I don't want you here, I do! I'm just surprised you're here."

"I thought I'd surprise you," Zuko said and blushed slightly. It was so easy for Sokka to get him to blush and he loved it.

"Mission accomplished," Sokka smiled and lead him towards his and Katara's house.

"This place is so different from the last time I was here," Zuko said. His eyes wandered around as he took in everything the southern tribe had been working on since the end of the war.