Chapter 32: The Main Event

Sokka, Zuko and Aang took their seats near the front of the stands, surrounded by enthusiastic spectators from both tribes. At the beginning of the track were eight competitors, including Katara who were at the ready for when the bell would sound.

"You got this Katara!" Aang shouted and when Katara spotted them she waved. She took her place behind her sled that had been decorated with southern water tribe traditional decorations and stood, hyper-focused and ready for the bell to ring.

The crowd went silent as everyone anxiously waited for chief Hakoda to ring the large bell near the starting line. Rather than watching and waiting for his dad to strike the bell, Sokka had his eyes glued on his sister. He knew she was going to give it her all, but his heart was still racing as the silence dragged on.

In one swift motion Hakoda struck the bell and all eight competitors shot down the hill with incredible speed. Two competitors from the north took the lead, but Katara was not far behind.

She wove in and out between the ice spikes Aang had added to the course after it was announced she would be competing. The course had to be changed so it would be fair, but he wondered what was going through his sister's head seeing these changes for the first time.

"Come on Katara!" Sokka shouted instinctively as she passed one of the northerners. She didn't take her eyes off the track, but his encouragement seemed to help because she veered left, putting her right behind the guy in first place.

Up ahead was a small lake that was being kept unfrozen by water benders from the north. There were only a few winding paths crossing the lake for the competitors to use to cross it. Everyone sat on the edge of their seats as the northerner and Katara reached it, followed not long after by the others who were gaining ground.

Katara was struggling, the snow-covered paths were narrow and there was not much of an incline to maintain momentum. Two of other competitors were unable to stay on the paths and flew off their sleds and into the cold, shallow water.

"She's not going to make it," Sokka said quietly as he watched her anxiously. She was losing speed and the next hill wasn't until the edge of the lake.

"She's almost there," Aang said and slid to the very edge of his seat. The crowd watched in near silence as all of the competitors appeared to be struggling.

At the last second Katara leaned into her sled and picked up just enough speed to make it out of the lake and over the next hill. The crowd went wild and Sokka and Aang leapt into the air and cheered. Zuko stood up and clapped aggressively before dropping the formality and joining in on the cheering.

She just had a little farther to go and she would be the very first champion of the water tribe's winter games. Sokka couldn't help but be proud of her and cheer her on. He looked around the stands and found his father who was so focused he hardly blinked.

"No!" Aang shouted and stood up. Sokka returned his gaze to the race, and to his shock, another competitor from their tribe had overtaken her out of nowhere.

"How did that happen? I looked away for a second!" Sokka said in disbelief. Zuko, who was sitting on the other side of Aang had his eyes squinted as if he was studying battle tactics.

"I think he used water bending to take the lead," Zuko said quietly enough so that only Sokka and Aang could hear.

"That's against the rules, there has to be another explanation," Aang said. The avatar always did try and see the good in everyone, even if there was little to no good in them.

"While I agree he cheated somehow, there aren't any other water benders in our tribe besides Katara and Pakku," Sokka added and watched as the other competitor crossed the finish line, followed by Katara who looked devasted by her loss.