↳ CHAPTER ONE

-EVACUATION-
——————————————

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷CHAPTER ONE ˏˋ°•*⁀➷
(act i)

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷CHAPTER ONE ˏˋ°•*⁀➷(act i)

———PROMISES———

September 1940

THE GERMAN AIRLINES inched closer to London. The spotlights from the planes searching for any sign of anything living.

Edmund was in his room looking at his home being bombed before his eyes. He smiled to himself at all the damage. Destruction. It was a beautiful sight. Yet very foolish to stand at the window with the curtain pulled back.

"Edmund?" he heard his mother's  voice enter the room. "Get away from there!" her shrill voice startled him. She quickly pulling the small boy away from the window. He watched as his mother shut the curtains he was once looking out of. She then turned back to Edmund. "What do you think you're doing?!" she scolded him, holding his shoulders.

Peter came running into the room, hearing his mother shouting at his younger brother. "Peter, quickly the shelter!" Helen demanded. She began picking up some things to take into the shelter and rushed out the room. Edmund stood, glancing between the window and then at the space where his mother had been moments ago.

"Come on!" Peter began dragging Edmund by the arm. "Wait.." Edmund tried pulling away from his brother's grip but Peter pulled him back. "Leave it!"

Peter dragged Edmund downstairs and into the back garden. The four children and their mother quickly ran towards the shelter outside.

Lucy, the youngest, screamed as a bomb went off near their house. Just as they reached the shelter Edmund remembered that the only picture of his dad was still in the house.

"Wait, Dad." Edmund twisted out of Peter's grip and ran back into the house. He heard Peter shout his name before hearing footsteps running up the stairs after him.

Edmund ran upstairs to get the picture slowly picking it up when he was pushed to the ground by Peter when a bomb set off near the window. The window was shattered. Pieces of glass everywhere. Edmund had lost grip of the picture.

"Come on, you idiot. RUN!" Peter pulled Edmund to his feet. Edmund quickly picked up the broken picture that had been shattered by the bomb while Peter dragged him to his feet and pushed him down the stairs and outside.

They both ran back towards the shelter as fast as they could with the sound of planes above them. Peter pushed him inside and Edmund fell onto the bed out of breath and panting holding the picture in his hand.

"Why can't you think of anyone but yourself? You're so selfish! He could of got us killed!" Peter shouted. Edmund only sat there, panting with tears brimming his eyes. "Stop it!" Helen scolded to the oldest brother.

Edmund dropped the picture and was pulled by the arm into a hug by his mother. He gave Peter a glare. "Why can't you just do as you're told?" Peter asked, softly.

Edmund didn't reply. Peter slammed the door of the shelter shut the shed went dark.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

The Pevensie's stood at the nearest steam railway station. There were many families around, their mothers hugging their children goodbye, soldiers marching throughout the station, ready to shoot if the Germans came to bomb them. "Children and evacuation staff...Attention, would all parents ensure that their children have the appropriate identification papers" the announcer on the speaker called.

Helen crouched in front of Lucy, pinning her evacuee tag on her coat. "You need to keep this on darling. All right? You warm enough?" Helen asked the youngest girl, stroking her arms. Lucy just faintly nodded in reply. "Good girl." Lucy moved in to hug her mother who returned the gesture.

Helen moved to Edmund and put his tag on. He looked up at the sign that was opposite him. "The country's boring." Edmund spoke up, making a face. Helen glared up at her son as she put on the tag.

"Boring is safe, Edmund." Susan pointed out. Edmund looked down at his mother. "If dad were here he wouldn't make us go." Edmund said. "If dad were here, it would mean the war was over and we wouldn't have to go." Peter snapped.

Helen ignored her eldest son and looked up at Edmund. "You will listen to your brother. Won't you, Edmund?" Edmund just huffed as she stood up to give him a hug and a kiss, which he hated.

He moved his head out the way to avoid the kiss. Helen sighed and instead, she kissed the back of his head and moved to Peter.

"All right, off you go." their mother said, sadly after pulling away from hugging her eldest daughter.

The four of them all picked up their bags and walked towards the train. Susan grabbed Edmund's arm to make sure he didn't get lost while pushing through the many people gathered around the train.

"Hey, get off! I know how to get on a train by myself. Get off me!" Edmund almost shouted at his older sister.

Susan let go of her younger brother. "May I have your tickets please?" The ticket holder stated, holding out her hand towards Peter, who was in a complete trance.

Edmund turned to see there was nothing more than people. "Tickets, please!" The woman demanded. "Peter." Susan scolded, snatching the papers off him and handing them to the woman. "That's right. On you go." The woman guided them through the crowd. "Yes, thank you." Peter told the woman as he passed by.

Lucy glanced back, craning her head to look for her mum but she was too short. Peter noticed his younger sister had stopped and turned to comfort her. "Come on, Lucy." She turned to look up at him, before lowering her head.

"We have to stick together now." Lucy leaned into her brother, holding back her tears. "Everything's going to be alright. It's gonna be fine." Peter comforted her and pulled her to the train.

They got onto the train and waved goodbye to their mother. It was hard leaving her. Each sibling felt it, but they each showed it in their own way. The train whistle blew and the train began departing from its home.

Their mother stood at the front of the crowd, watching as the train sped away in the distance. She let a small tear slip from her eye. Hoping they would be safe. She hope it would change their relationship together. Bring them closer. She hoped that a change in scenery would be best for her youngest son.

Her mothers instinct could tell his attitude came from boarding school. She didn't know what. Her son had a huge change in personality. It changed even more once their father left to fight in the war. She hoped they would all be safe. And they would return safely.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷