Chapter 1: Memory Of a Lifetime I

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, songs, and pictures, but I do own the plot. I don't make money out it.

Warning: A bit out of character.

Audio titled: GLOW

Chapter
I
I Hunger

***

China,
March 5, 1987

"I knew I would find you here." A quiet voice broke Zhang Qi Ling's thought as he stared intently in the nursery window of a local hospital. The single occupant of the nursery screamed almost uncontrollably as the nurse cooed in an attempt to calm the baby. She couldn't see Zhang Qi Ling because he didn't allow it. He was there to watch without being seen.

"En," Zhang Qi Ling nodded and asked, "How did you find me?"

"You should just let him go. Our kind isn't supposed to cling to mortals. You, Zhang Qi Ling, are the perfectly example of why we should stick to our own. You allowed yourself to suffer. Will you watch over this soul for eternity? How many times can you stand to watch him die before you are driven into insanity?" Zhang Rishan sighed as annoyance spread across his face. That child in the nursery was desperately interwoven with the soul of his cousin. And Zhang Risha can't do anything about it.

"I will take what time I can with him." Zhang Qi Ling softly said as he watched the nurse leave the room to call the doctor. In the blink of an eye, Zhang Qi Ling was standing beside the small hospital cradle. Lifting the baby in his arms, he watched as the baby scrunched up his face as if about to release a loud cry when brown eyes opened and locked with black eyes.

The cry never came as the hazy brown attempted to focus on the man holding him. A faint coo escaped in the small rosebud lips as Zhang Qi Ling holding the baby smiled and he smiled sadly at the life he held in his hands.

Zhang Qi Ling cradle the baby close, his fingers gently caressed the small tuff of dark brown hair. "I will watch over you forever, Wu Xie. You saved me and in turn cursed yourself. You know, I wasn't worth it." Zhang Qi Ling nuzzled his nose into soft cheek and breathed in the baby's powdered scent.

He heard the nurse's steps and reluctantly laid the baby in the crib and exited the hospital.

Calling on the preternatural strength that his kind was gifted with, Zhang Qi Ling crouched and lunged to the top of the building where Zhang Rishan stood waiting.

"You look pale, Xiao ge. You haven't been feeding like you should." Zhang Rishan calmly said and his bright crimson eyes watched the movement of his cousin.

"Blood tastes ashes in my mouth compared to Wu Xie." Zhang Qi Ling crouched and popped his neck to relieve some of the build up stress. He only fed when it became necessary to do so. The taste of blood no longer held their appeal if it wasn't Wu Xie's blood and Zhang Qi Ling did not like feeding from an inferior source.

"Foolish, foolish Xiao ge. I can smell your hunger." Zhang Rishan stepped closer and closed his eyes to force away the unbearable need to feed. The sound of his footsteps was muffled as he glided toward his cousin. When one was as old as the two of them, fighting the hunger became easier. No less painful but manageable. Control was the key and he was certain that Zhang Qi Ling was at the end of his.

Crouching beside his cousin, Zhang Rishan arched a brow at his cousin. If it was any other creature, he would have called him weak but this was Zhang Qi Ling. He was the only of their kind who could rival Zhang Rishan in strength and cunning, yet he was humbled by one human soul that he chased through ages.

Contrary to popular belief, nightwalkers are not created. They are, in fact, born. Drinking from a human will not turn them into a nightwalker nor will the sharing of blood. If anything, the blood would make the human sick. Garlic and crosses are a myth as well. Hell, Zhang Rishan was currently sporting lovely gothic cross earing.