36

I waited the whole afternoon to see if Nathaniel would enter my room, but he hadn't and I was starting to believe Genevive's words after every passing hour. As the sun began to set and the sky got darker, I heard the noise of the ball. I heard a knock on my door and told the person to enter, hoping it was Nathaniel.

"Princess, the King has requested for your presence at the ball."

Princess, princess, princess. That word kept echoing through my head. I never cared about royal titles, yet at this moment I did. I wanted to be the Queen of Nordfjord, Nathaniel's queen.

"Where is the King?"

"He's entertaining the guests at the ball, your highness."

Would he be entertaining his new wife soon and forget about me? A tear escaped my eye at that thought, as my heart shattered once again. I needed to know if his mother's words were true before I can tell him about our bairn.

"Your highness?"

"Just give me a few moments to gather myself. I'll be down shortly."

The maid curtly nods her head before leaving my chamber. I muster all my strength and get up from the floor, heading towards the mirror. I rid myself of the nightgown I was wearing and caressed the slightest bump on my bare stomach.

I stopped myself from shedding any more tears and grabbed a red dress to wear. Red to represent anger and love. I braided my long hair and looked at my reflection in the mirror.

There, staring back at me was a woman I thought who died the moment I met Nathaniel. My reflection was the old me, the broken me. My eyes were glistening with unshed tears and it was evident I had cried. Despite my tan skin, I somehow looked pale and lifeless.

I left my chamber towards the loud music and chatter of people. My eyes took around my surroundings and I felt my worst fear begging to be set into a reality.

Princesses and noblewomen from all the nearby regions and kingdoms were present. Some danced with a few noblemen, while others were talking to each other. I saw my mother-in-law, shooting an evil grin in my direction and I felt so powerless that I hung my head low, already feeling the tears fill my eyes.

I scan the room to find one of my step sisters dancing with a man. His back was to me, but given his structure and the evil glint, my sister's eyes directed at me when she saw me I knew who it was.
He knew what she did to me, yet he acts friendly towards her. As if feeling my stare he turns around and ceases all movements as he looked at me.

Time seemed to stop, as I saw Nathaniel staring back and my mother-in-law approaching me from my peripheral vision. A tear slid down my face as I quickly wiped it away. Nathaniel's face contorted into confusion when he saw his mother by my side and quickly began approaching us, but he was too late.

"Welcome all to this ball. As important as it is that you all familiarize yourselves with my son, it's almost important you do it yourself with his first wife, as she would be a sister to one of you. Fortunately, one of you may actually be worthy and hold the title of being the Queen of Nordfjord and mother to my son's heir."

At this point, my tears fell freely and after numerous failed attempts I was finally able to free myself of my mother in laws grip. I raised my head to look up at Nathaniel and saw his face twist in pain as he tried to approach me despite the crowd. I heard him scream something, but the sound of the applause and chatter of the crowd drowned it away. I took that opportunity and ran out of the palace, away from him.

"Avani no! Move now! Everyone move!"

I heard his loud shouts more clearly now in despair and anger, but couldn't stop now. I ran towards the barn and entered a stall. I slid down the wall and cried out sobs. It was only a matter of time before Nathaniel find me, but I needed to be alone for a while.

A few moments later I heard his heavy footsteps enter the barn.

"Avani I know you're in here. You- you have to be. Please just let me explain."

Hearing the despair in his voice, as it cracked slightly, my voice had a mind of its own, as the sobs escaped louder than intended. My heads were between my knees that were tucked under my chest. I couldn't see him but I heard the stall door open and his breathing stops momentarily, before feeling his hand on my shoulder.

He pulled me into him, despite my protest, but eventually, I broke down in his arms. My mind seemed to come back into its senses and I tried to leave his arms, despite his tight hold.

"Let me go, Nathaniel, isn't that what you intended to do anyway."

His body went rigid and I took that opportunity to release myself out of his hold. His head hung low and we stayed silent.

"How could you Nathaniel? I never trusted your mother's words, but when my eyes landed on you dancing with my step-sister, despite knowing of the hateful acts she committed towards me, I knew I was a fool for loving you, for trusting you. I must say, you did a great job acting to get me to lay on your bed."

"It's not fair of you to accuse me of that Avani."

He sternly said, but still kept his head low.

"You know what's not fair. It's not fair that my parents died when I was young and I had to be mistreated by a powerful family. You know what's not fa-fair, getting married and getting my hopes up each time to get them crushed. My step-family was cruel, but you're crueller. At least they didn't treat me like I'm the most important person in their life one time and then treat me like the dirt on their shoe the next."

"Avani, please-"

"You promised not to hurt me, but you did. I was a fool to make the mistake of trust and falling love with you."

His head whipped up like I slapped his face and a single tear streamed down his face.

"There is no need to fake sadness Nathaniel, I'm not a fool to believe your lies again. Go choose yourself a bride, maybe two or three-"

"Enough!"

His voice boomed before we were met with an eerie silence. Tears streamed down his face uncontrollably, and I felt my heart shatter at that sight. I wanted to hurt him as he did to me, yet now I felt more broken than before.

"Today was supposed to be one of the most memorable days of our lives, but instead..."

His words needed silently and I continued for him.

"It was surely memorable, just not how I expected. I was going to surprise you, but I guess there's no point in putting effort into someone who doesn't do the same."

"Avani, trust me please."

"Even if that was possible, there is no point now."

"It's my fault. You are like a bird, caged within the castle walls. You can't experience love or form trust without having the choice. You were forced to marry me, so that was either be my side miserably or to love me. You're right, it's unfair of how cruel fate has been towards you and I'm going to do something I should have done sooner to prevent this immense hurt we both feel. I, King Nathaniel of Nordfjord release you, Avani from this marriage. You would have an estate and some valuables in your name, but most importantly your freedom from me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is definitely one of the saddest chapters I wrote. Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts.

Update: As a fellow reader I know how irking it is to be left in an unexplainable cliff hanger. I won't be spoiling the next chapter, but Nathaniel will give his reasons behind his action there. Till then, Ciao :)