02

I walked aimlessly around the castle halls, ignoring everything and everyone surrounding me. The guards who stood as still as a statue, the maids busily doing their chores and prepping for dinner.

I didn't know what I was going to do, what my future would hold. All I knew was that if I agreed to the marriage proposal, then my life would be worse than this. I felt my feet take me towards my room, more like a closet.

The maids and warriors that reside in the castle were aware of my mistreatment, yet did nothing in fear of the King and Queen. A couple of the maids often look at me in pity and help me clean some severe wounds, but nothing more than that.

I remember my best friend, no more than that, my sister from my childhood; Alina, was her name, similar to mine. After my mother's death, we became closer. She was a sister to me, the only person who cared and loved me.

She knew of my mistreatment and tried to tell her parents, but they refused, scared for their life. The King must have found out and he was furious.

He called us both over and I stood there helpless while he slashed her cheek with his sword. A King's sword is used to protect his people and honour, not to be used on a young maiden.

I cried and cried as she withered in pain. I tried to lunge at him, but the guards stopped me and dragged me away.

I didn't leave my room for weeks, feeling the weight of guilt, fear, and sadness. Through the rumours of some of the servants, I came to realize that her parents abandoned her not soon after finding out about the King's cowardly deed towards their daughter.

Instead of standing up for her, they kicked her out of the family and I learned she was exiled from the Kingdom. To her family, Alina was only a woman who would be sold to the richest man for a wife. With a scarred face, they knew the richest of men won't pay for her. From then on, I never once heard of my best friend, my sister or seen her.

Getting rid of those saddening thoughts, I close the door and look around the place I called my sanctuary. I looked out the window, seeing the Kingdom that I call home. I was the rightful Queen to the throne, but instead I'm treated like a prisoner, a slave.

The words of the vile King rang through my ears. If he does kill you, I assure you, nobody will cry over you. The ones that truly care for me, my parents have moved on to the next world, so why should I not join them?

I struggled all my life, and at last did I not deserve a peaceful death? The rumours of the Northerner King states his cruel warning towards his enemies.

As I am the daughter of his foe, I'm sure I'll face a horrid death of humiliation and warning to those who oppose him.

I walk up to my hidden basket, a pink shawl in my eyesight. It's the only valuable thing I have in remembrance of my mother. The Queen destroyed nearly everything else that belonged to her, destined to erase my mother's memories.

My hands ran over the soft, silk shawl, and I felt my mother's presence. Somehow, it calmed me, even during those torturous times I was abused.

"I cannot take it anymore mother. I want to live for you and father, but I can't take the abuse anymore. If I am so weak, how can I be a Queen that looks after the people of this Kingdom, when I can't protect myself from these monsters?

They arranged a marriage between myself and the King of the North. I can't possibly marry a man who is feared, like the devil. Maybe, I was never meant to live, maybe it's a sign."

As soon as that thought came into my head, I dismissed it. I didn't struggle this hard, just to give up so easily. It also didn't mean I'm going to give up my final chance of freedom and marry a monster

At that thought, I grab a shawl and pack all essential things and decide on my escape. My escape from this family, kingdom, and marriage. I poke my head out of the door to see that hallways clear of guards.

I leave my room, hiding the small makeshift pouch under my shawl. I walk as usual to the back garden, the only place I've been permitted to go beyond these castle walls. I walk around to the front of the castle, hiding my face with the ends of my shawl.

My simple clothes, allow me to blend in as a maid and the guards don't pay heed to me. I see the wide-open castle gates, my path to freedom. I can't help the smile on my face and walk faster towards it.

Just then, the wind blows revealing the sides of my face, just enough for one of the guards to catch me. As he calls my name, and others turn, I drop my pouch and run for my life.

As I take each step, closer and closer towards the gate memories of the pain, humiliation, and abuse I went through flash before me. Each event came back through my mind, as tears strolled down my face.

The King's unjust act towards my friend, his unrightful place on my father's throne. The way he treated my mother and me, from the start until the end.

The Queen, who can't even be identified as a proper lady. Despite being married to the King, she still acted improperly, tarnishing her position as the Queen of Alasia. The jealousy she had for my mother, and the abuse I went through for that.

My step-siblings, who did nothing to ease my pain. They followed their parent's footsteps and were worse than them at times. The beatings, verbal abuse, and cruel actions were rushing back to my memory.

The maids and soldiers doing nothing to help me from this cruel family. Their own fright, stopping them from saving a child and letting her grow to be broken. Some of the men rubbed salt to the wound with their vile comments and touches.

Tears streamed down my face as I let a strangled sob. I'm gasping for air, but don't let my steps falter. Unfortunately, I was a trapped princess and the men chasing me was trained guards. Despite my perseverance, they all surrounded me and I felt all rational sense exit me. I thrash and try to escape out of the clutches of two men holding me.

Before I knew it, a cloth of foul odour covered my nose and mouth and I saw my vision becoming hazy and my body becoming limp.