Chapter 18 - Red Sky in the Morning

-wake up!

From the horizon: crimson clashes against the black of the night sky, swiftly painting over the twinkling stars. As the color crosses over the waning moon it seems to almost... consume it, and the pale satellite turns pitch black, hanging menacingly above the city. The bloody sky swallows up more and more stars, until the black of night is washed away entirely.

No one seems to notice, and the fireworks continue to fly into the air, almost unnoticeable under the vibrant backdrop. The people continue to cheer and celebrate as the swirling point where the red covered the last speck of sky begins to descend. Almost like an otherworldly tornado, red strands spiral down from the sky, twirling and twisting about themselves as the spire drops lower and lower. So low, that I almost think it will bore straight into the earth. But it doesn't. It stops, hanging and twisting a few hundred feet about the downtown buildings. Then-

My vision flickers, and I crumple to my knees. There's a raspy inhalation of air and- it's coming from my mouth. I haven't been breathing. Wait. Wait.

What happened?

Jacy's death.

The clock struck 12.

Then....

I had that- right! That vision! When the sky turned red. But I woke up, I woke up because...

"Mold!" Frantically I stumble to my feet, looking around for where the girl has disappeared to. The dull red glow barely illuminates my apartment, but I manage to catch some movement as Mold's golden sandals glint slightly. Her hands claw at her right eye and her mouth opens in a silent scream as I rush to her side, flipping her onto her back.

"What is it? What do I do?!" My hands hover over her, shaking, but her mouth only grimaces open and closed, with no sound coming out. My arms move on their own, and I brush her hair away from her eye, and grab onto the hand that's holding it. There's blood seeping out from under the eyelid. I gulp, and slowly shift her hand away, beginning to slide open her eye to see the wound.

But I don't even make it a millimeter. As soon as my fingertips touch her injured eye her good one shoots open, and her dilated pupil stares straight through me. Then I'm being spun through the air, my body flipping upside down as Mold hurls me into the wall near the entrance way. I slide to the floor, and as I look up at the ceiling in a daze I notice that I'm right next to the stain from where Jacy's head hit the wall.

"Ugh, what the hell. Do you want help or not?" With a grunt, I tilt forward and perform a reverse somersault so that I'm crouching again. Mold is still writhing on the floor, gasping for air. I stand up, but before I can move back towards the girl there's a knock on my door, and I freeze in place. Someone mutters something, and shoes shuffle around on the floor. One... no, two pairs of them.

I sneak another glance at Mold before creeping over to the door. I raise onto my tiptoes and peer out of my peephole, but right as I do my door gets pounded on again, and I let out a slight squeak as I jump. The two policemen that are outside look at eachother, and then the older, more portly one speaks up.

"Um... Mr. Brady... Tyson? It's the police. We've received a complaint that there have been some extremely loud noises coming from your apartment over these last few nights, and-"

"Miss." I growl through the door.

"Um. What?" He licks his lips and looks at his partner again.

"Miss. Brady Tyson. Thank you."

"Oh, okay... Um, anyway, Ms. Tyson, as I was saying. Your neighbors didn't want to complain, as they say you've been great for as long as you've been here, but seeing as how it's been recurring and, I quote; 'incomprehensibly loud,' they couldn't really not say anything. Plus there was that whole, y'know, downstairs a couple nights ago..."