*The Blind Banker: Part Eight*

Chapter Nineteen: You've Got A Friend In Me

When I woke, Sherlock and John were still at it with the books. What caught my attention was the sun shining through the window.
"What time is it?!" I demanded, but they ignored me. I checked my phone to see 11:15, which inflated my eyes.
I cursed under my breath as my legs sprung up from the couch and pulled me out of the flat before I could even blink.

I sprinted down the sidewalk, hearing shouts from adults I almost ran into. As I fumbled to stuff my notebook into my bag, I came to my school. Not a good way to end the week. It also crosses my mind that I didn't finish my homework.
Luckily, my lunch period was going on, so I didn't attract much attention. I plopped down on a bench outside the front door, heaving for breath. When my lungs finally returned to their original size, I inspected my bag. Tattered papers and creased notebooks begging to be organised. As I took them out and fixed them, I found my glasses at the bottom, thankfully not broken!

"Is this seat taken?" I heard someone asked, and looked up to see Wyatt. Next to my bench was a completely empty one, and I was tempted to tell him it was there, but I wasn't in the mood for this. I shook my head as he sat down with his lunch tray.
"So." he started, opening a bottle of water. I glanced at him through the corners of my eyes and scooted more to the arm rail on the side.
"You put my number in your phone." I said.
"And?"
"That's creepy. I don't even know you."
"And?"
This was getting frustrating. I honestly didn't know what this guy wanted with me. First he comes into my class, then puts my number into his phone without my permission, and now he expects me to be nice.

"Is this a prank?" I asked.
"Um... no." he hesitated, taking a swig of water with his food.
"What do you want?" I insisted, my mind getting impatient. If he wanted friendship, I will say I'm not easily willing to do that.
"Forget it. I'm sorry, I'm just trying to be nice. You seem alone, is all." He said, then stood and left to do other things. I just sat there, my mind thrown off. I noticed then that he had dropped a maroon piece of paper on the pavement. I picked it up to see yellow letters on it reading

YELLOW DRAGON CIRCUS. IN LONDON FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY.

I pocketed the ticket, wondering if it had to do with whatever Sherlock's case would be. The bell rang, and I went to class.
I was so lucky Dakota wasn't at school, because it meant I was spared from more torment. In peace with music, I walked back to 221. It's then I realise I'm wearing the same clothes from yesterday. I decide to take a risk, and a detour.
* * *
It feels like an eternity since I've laid eyes on our flat. Being so late in the day, my mother would be bar tending now, so I suppose that's good. She always leaves the door unlocked.
Inside was the usual mess it was. There was a bottle on the coffee table, and unwashed dishes in the sink. We had that kind of apartment where the kitchen counter divides the kitchen from the living room. Right behind the kitchen was a door to the loo, and in a door between the loo and my room is where I went. I walked into my dark room, not wanting to turn on the light. Siting on my unmade bed, I gently opened the top drawer, and dug to the bottom where there was a small basement where I kept those small metal trapezoids.

"Not today, Aspen." I told myself, then grabbed one of my black tunics and jeans. After I changed, I decided I didn't want to come back here, so I grabbed one of my backpacks and stuffed more clothes inside. There was another secret pocket in the back, so I wrapped the blades in socks and put them in. Just in case, you know? Finally I got the case to my glasses, and headed out of my room.

Something inside me wanted to go into my moms room, maybe find a picture of my dad, but I decided it would just cause me pain. I glanced once more at our flat, and headed out.
* * *
It seemed the sky is always in a state of gloom, or maybe it's just me. The air felt sticky as I walked along the streets I sprinted down this morning, until I come along the black door that had 221 on its top in silver letters. Not bothering to knock, I walked in, facing the open door upstairs.

Sherlock was still in the place I had left him this morning, examining the crates of books, and not noticing my arrival. I fingered the ticket in my pocket as my bag hit the couch. For some reason, that caught his attention, and he glanced up.
"Didn't go home?" He asked, going back to his books.
"No." I said, then slapped the matron ticket on the page he was reading. "Found it at school, thought you'd be interested."

It would seem he was, for he closed his book and took the ticket and pocketed it.
"Thanks. Should be useful." He said, then went back to his books. I stood there, gazing at the collection before me, mesmerised at the amount these men had.
At that moment, John walked in, and surprised at my appearance.
"Aspen!" He exclaimed.
"I need some air. We're going out tonight." Sherlock said, hands on his hips.
"Actually, I've got a date." John countered with a smile, and making me do a double take.
"What?" Sherlock and I asked together, both taken by surprise.
"It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun." John explained.

"That's what I was suggesting." Sherlock argued, slightly confused. I then look at him in judgement.
"No it wasn't." John said.
"At least I hope not." I mutter.
"Where are you taking her?" Sherlock asked.
"Cinema." John said.
"Oh, dull, boring, predictable." Sherlock complained, then reached into his pocket. Wait-what? Is he wasting my hard work to help his case on John?
"Why don't you try this?" He asked, giving him the ticket stub. I sighed and rolled my eyes at the idiocy of his action.
"In London for one night only." Sherlock added. I glanced at him, who met my eyes and gave me a sarcastic thumbs up for giving him the ticket. We then see that John wants to give him the ticket back.

"Thanks, but I don't come to you for dating advice." He said, but sherlock didn't take it. Instead he went back to his book. John sighed and went into his bedroom to get ready for his date.
"Hello? I'd like to buy two tickets to this circus- thing please." We heard.
"What was that?" I asked Sherlock.
"You want to help out with this case?" He countered. To be honest, not really... I shrugged my shoulders as the door to Johns room closed.

Sherlock grabbed a phone to call the number. "Fancy a trip to the circus, Aspen?"