*A Study In Pink: Part Ten*

Chapter Ten: The Game Is On

"How did you find me?" Sherlock asked, looking out the window. Though those were his actions, I felt like those stony blue eyes were boring into the back of my skull in the "how could you be so stupid" look he gave almost everyone he came across.
"...who warned you about me?" Sherlock asked, snapping me back.
"Someone out there who's noticed you. Same goes for you, young lady." The driver said, switching gears on to me.
"H-how'd you find me?" I asked, unable to keep my voice from trembling.
"Okay, so: I'm dropping you off at Baker Street like every other cab does, and I notice my "medication" is missing. Only place I could think of, I just had to wait for the right moment." He explained.

"Who would notice her? She's a typical depressed teenager. And who would notice me?" Sherlock interrupted.
"You're too modest, Mr. Holmes, and honey, I'm going to need those damn pills back." He said.
"I'm really not." Sherlock said, as if the last phrase was nonexistent to him.

I was fiddling with the jar inside my pocket, and I was able to pop the lid off and drop out a capsule, then snapped the lid on.
"H-here sir." I stuttered, placing the jar on the box between the driver and passenger seat.

In silence we rode, and I still felt like Sherlock was gazing at me.
"Why'd you throw me out like that?" I whispered to him, hoping the driver wouldn't hear. I didn't look at him though, I just stared out the window at whizzing windows nearby.
"Because it was my flat, and John wouldn't do it himself." He said, at a normal volume. I suppose then I was added to yet another "dislike" list.
* * *
After what seemed like forever, he pulled us up to a college.
"Where are we?" Sherlock asked.
"You know exactly where we are, but tell us for her sakes." The man, I've now identified as Jeff from his land yard, said.
"Roland-Kerr Further Education College." Sherlock stated as he got out. I slid out after him.
"It's open," Jeff started, following us. "Cleaners are in. One thing about being a cabbie: you always know a nice quiet spot for a murder. I'm surprised more of us don't branch out."

This man had me afraid. I stood close to Sherlock, but he held a disgusted look and stepped aside.
"And you just walk your victims in?" He questioned, monotone caking his voice.
Jeff held up a pistol, and I heard myself gasp a little, taking a small step back. Sherlock just rolled his eyes.
"Oh, dull." he groaned.
"Don't worry, it gets better." Jeff said.
"You can't make people take their own lives at gunpoint." Sherlock re-bounded.
"I don't. It's much better than that." He teased, then put the pistol down. "Don't need this because you'll follow me. Just keep her silent." He then shoved the jar back in my hand.
* * *
He led us to a vast but dark room. When he turned in the lights, I saw there were benches and tables occupying most of the space.
"Well, what do you think?" Jeff asked. Sherlock shrugged his shoulders, but I just looked at the cabbie.
"It's up to you two. You guys are the ones who will die in here." He said.
"No I'm not." Sherlock said.
"Not really how I pictured it, but... it's cozy." I said after, hearing the words pile out of my mouth.
"That's what they all say." Jeff said. "Not yours. His." He mentioned, speaking to me, then gestured to a bench. "Shall we talk?"

Before either of us can reply, he pulled out a chair and sat down. Sherlock copied his action, but flipped the chair and sat opposite him. I just... pulled out at chair I guess.
"Bit risky, wasn't it? Took me- um, us away from about half a dozen policemen. They're not that stupid. And Mrs. Hudson will remember you." Sherlock challenged.
"You call that a risk? Nah." Jeff shook off the statement, and reached into his left pocket, pulling out a second jar containing one pill.

"Oh, I like this bit. 'Cause you don't get it yet, do you? But you're about to. I just have to do this." He explained. "I'll be having that back now, sweetheart." He added.

I could feel my hand trembling. It always did this since I started harming myself. I placed the jar on the table, noticing it now had one inside.
"You weren't expecting that, we're you?" He said, then leaned forward. "You're going to love this."

As they spoke, I felt my brain slowly put the pieces together. Perhaps it was that trick- where there's one pill that won't do anything, and the other will kill you?

"...Okay two bottles. Explain." Sherlock said, and I was kind of taken aback he hadn't figured it out yet.
Jeff was about to speak, when I took a leap of faith.
"IfImay?" I spoke quickly, raising my hand up to my shoulder.
"I suppose." Jeff said, and Sherlock sighed annoyingly.
"Is it that thing where there's one pill that kills you and another lets you live?" I asked, my words moving before Jeff could sit back. He nodded.
"Both bottles are, of course, identical." Sherlock muttered.

"In every way." Jeff shot.
"You know which is which?" I asked
"Yes."
"But I don't." Sherlock stated.
"Wouldn't be a game if you knew. You're the one who chooses." Jeff said.
"Why should I? What's in it for me?" Sherlock bragged.
"Well whatever bottle you choose, I choose the other one, and then together we take them." Jeff explained.
"There's only one, though." I said, my voice a half-whisper.

"Well, you do have another in your pocket." Jeff pointed out. "Let's say winner goes against the lady."
At that point, Sherlock smirked.