*A Study In Pink: Part Three*

Chapter Three: Stepping Into 221B

I rode back to my house with John. The whole ride was quiet, until the silence was broken.

"Is there anything you want to tell me?" He asked.

"No." I said immediately, then took out my homework. I started working on it when John took my hand.

"Aspen, you're the only one who I feel isn't a complete jerk to me." He said. "How've you been?" He asked.

"Fine." I said quickly, as I did the math on my paper.

"Can I help you with your homework at least?" He asked, leaning over to see my paper, which I pulled away from him. He looked at me, myself returning the favor, then giving him my paper.

"How's Harry?" He asked. I just sat there, looking out the window as the insults echoed in my mind.

"Fine. Whatever Sherlock said was bluff." I said, then motioned for the cab to stop. I can walk. Taking my paper from John and seeing some x's and checks, I got out, throwing on my backpack.

"Aspen?" John called.

"What?" I asked, turning around, then giving him a £2 for the cab.

"Take care. Please. I love you." He said, taking the money as I closed the door. Before he drove off, I put on a smile for him.

* * *

The next day had a smoky grey-blue overcast in the sky, reflecting my mood in school. As the last bell rang, my phone buzzed to a text from a random number. It read:

Coming with Uncle?

-SH

I didn't even care about how he got my number. People text me all the time, but it usually more negative.

"Hey Arsepen!" I heard the voice of Dakota yell from my locker. It slammed as her brown hair lashed across my face.

"Didn't see you yesterday. Working with dead people again? She asked, her brown eyes like the dirt leaking from her heart. "Such a loser. And Emo. Don't know why you haven't killed yourself yet." She teased, then pushed me against the lockers. My head jerked back and hit the metal.

"Poor Aspen. You're never going to count." Dakota finished, the walked away as I slid down to the ground. Tears welled in my sky blue eyes as the sound of rain became known.

My phone buzzed again.

Aspen? Want to come with Mr. Holmes and I? You really should.

-John.

I wasn't in the mood right now. Gathering my dignity, I stood and made my way to the exit, thinking maybe though it's early, someone will be there.

There was a cab parked a block away from the school. I waved, making it come to me. The driver had a knitted sweater on, with a hat matching. He looked at me with his rounded glasses and rat face.

"Where Miss?" He asked with his nasal voice.

"221B... Uh... Baker Street." I said, getting in.

* * *

As he drove, I saw a small jar under magazines with several pink capsules. Did this man do drugs? It made me suspicious.

My thoughts were interrupted when he hit the brakes quickly, making me go forward. I accidentally hit the papers, but snuck a grip at the jar, then pulled it back into my black sweater pocket.

"Well, here miss 221B. Free of charge." He said.

"Thank you." I hesitated, then got out to meet John. I knew I should tell him about the glass jar I had gotten, maybe even give it to the police, but John didn't look too good.

Another cab pulled up, and out came Sherlock.

"Oh, Mr. Holmes." John greeted. Sherlock have him a smile- a real one- and said, "Sherlock, please." He turned to me and extended his hand.

"So you stopped her husband from being executed?" I asked.

"Oh, I ensured it." He responded to both if us, then knocked on the door. An old lady in about her late sixties came out.

"Mrs. Hudson, Doctor John Watson and his niece, Aspen." Sherlock introduced.

"Hello." She said, adjusting her glasses. I smiled and John greeted her.

"Shall we?" Sherlock asked.

"Yep." Mrs. Hudson said.