||02||

•02•

ELLIOT’S POV

I watched her step out of the car leaving me behind. She made no efforts to hide her anger. No. She tried to burn me under her scorching anger. That is my Ellie. I could only be glad that she hadn’t shut me out completely. At least she was showing me how she felt. I had thought that she would act all indifferent with me. I know what I did all those years back was wrong. I shouldn’t have left her alone with that crazy woman we call our mother. But she refused to come with me. She was adamant to not let me go and I needed to leave. I couldn’t stay there any longer. I had to create a life for both of us. It took me five years to get a job, to get this house (which Dad helped me buying last week). I had thought that I will ask her to move in with me after that but then I kept waiting until I received a call yesterday.

FLASHBACK

I had never thought she would call me so when I saw the landline number on my mobile screen , I was glad that Ellie finally wanted to talk to me.

“Ellie, I am so glad you called.” I had said immediately after answering the call.

“It’s Teresa.” 

I felt anger inside myself along with the disappointment. Finally I had thought that Ellie had forgiven me. But it was ‘her’. She wouldn’t call me if she didn’t need anything. Was Ellie all right? Was she sick or something?

“Is Ellie fine?” I asked as soon as the thought crossed my head.

“I have no time for your drama. Take your sister away from my home by evening or I am throwing her out.” With that she hung up. I stared at my phone for a while. Was this woman for real? She fought Dad to not let us take with him. Not because she loved us. No. She was a sick woman. She held us in our lives for the sake of her reputation. But still she kept us. Now she was threatening to throw Ellie out. 

I looked at the clock and saw that it was almost twelve at noon. It would take almost six hours to drive back there. I immediately grabbed my car keys and locked the house. I needed to get my sister back.

When I reached in front of the old house, I saw Ellie standing at the road looking confused. I followed her line of sight and saw a couple move into the house. She sold the house?

END

“Are you going to unlock the door?” 

I realized I had been sitting inside the car for long. Ellie had her stuff out of the back and had carried them already to the door. I climbed out and opened the door for her. The house was a small one. There were three bedrooms, a living room, kitchen and three bathrooms. It wasn’t much but it was home. Neither me nor Ellie ever wanted a huge house. We desired a small place to call our own. A comfy home to share between us.

“The bedrooms are upstairs.” I told her as picked up her bag. But she stopped me.

“I will carry them. I am used to doing things on my own.” Her words stung but I let her carry her bag by her own. It was five years of pent up anger, It would take time. I told myself. 

I climbed the stairs showing her the way.

“There is one bathroom downstairs. This one is my room and it has a bathroom attached to it. This is what I supposed to be your room and it shares a bathroom with the guest room but we don’t have any guests. If you want I can switch our rooms. But only this one has a balcony and I know you love balconies.” I said showing her the door to her room. It was right in front of mine and the guest room was beside her room.

She entered her room behind me. I was excited to show this to her. I had worked really hard to get it how I remembered her liking. 

I saw her eyes widen as she took her room in. I knew she loved it. I could tell by the way she mouthed a small Wow.

“Do you like it?” I asked hopefully. Now she might see that I never forgot about her.

She turned her head towards me. Disappointment filled in me on seeing her expression before she even said a word.

“Thanks. Thank you for the roof over my head.” She said without any emotion on her face.

“Um okay.” I said with a smile despite being sad. “I will cook something. Get fresh.”

ELISE’S POV

I felt well slept after a very long time. And I know it was because somehow my heart knew I was safe since Lee was here in the house with me. I am pathetic. He doesn’t even care for me. He wouldn’t have left me if her did.

But he got this house for you both. He remembered everything. He remembered how you wanted your room. He remembered how you like your food. 

No. Don’t. Please. I begged myself to stop thinking like. Didn’t we had enough trouble in life thinking this way. Stop giving yourself hope. You should have learnt that after Lee left. After how things went down with Luke. There is only a number of times you commit a same mistake over and over before it become stupidity.