Stefan. 15.

ALEXANDER

She's going to be my wife.

It's all I can think of now, ever since the day of our ride together. Before then, I could barely focus on anything but her discomfort, the way she was frightened about being in the castle, the way she avoided hearing matters with me, the way she tossed and turned in bed.

For some reason, it bothered me more than I cared to admit and I couldn't bear it anymore, so I had Caspian do some asking around and his reports were a relief.

The people don't hate her... not even close.

They're worried for her, they adore her, they're even thankful for her.

And with the news about Catherine finally being able to see Rupert... it gladdened them.

As much as I was pleased to hear it, it left the unanswered question.

If the people love her... then who's trying to kill her?

But I couldn't focus on that, not when Melissa was already thinking about it every second. So I needed her out of the castle, I needed her to see the effect she had was more positive than she imagined. And ever since that day...things changed.

She was doing everything she did before without that fearful look on her face, but it was for me they changed the most. With the news of how the people perceived her, she was back to normal. So coming to my chambers at night became a challenge.

She was no longer a frightened person, staying in my room for her safety... no. Now whenever I walked in at night, she would be fast asleep on the bed, in that silk nightwear of hers, a peaceful look on her face and her long braid of hair either behind her or across her shoulder. And it would dawn on me.

This is going to be my permanent view soon...

This lady is going to be my wife.

And with that thought in mind, I pause at the door to my chambers, readying myself to see her again, moaning softly as she sleeps and filling up the room with that heavenly scent.

But when I walk in this time, Melissa is wide awake, sitting at the edge of the bed and trying to feed herself...pie?

"What are you doing?" the words leave my mouth before I can stop myself and she looks up at me, those blue eyes filled with surprise.

"Your Majesty, you're back." She says, getting up to curtsy and I instantly stop myself from walking towards her at the sight of her nightwear. The silk garment is not transparent, but it's definitely not doing much to hide her ample bosom underneath, unlike her other gowns that...held everything together,...this was dangerously free, exposing the outlines of it all.

Why am I just noticing this now?

Melissa stands up straight and I turn away, heading to the mirror where I start taking off my unnecessary clothing, piece by piece as I watch her through the mirror. She's back on the bed, struggling to fork a piece of pie into her mouth and I as much as it's painful to watch, it's also hilarious.

"I thought you already had dinner with Halley and I earlier today." I can't help but say, struggling not to laugh and she sighs.

"I did, but this isn't just about eating." She says and I finally turn to her when I've shed everything excluding a shirt and my trousers.

"Then what's it about?" I ask and I watch her observe my face.

"Are you...are you smiling?" she asks and I chuckle, unable to resist while Melissa gives me a look, both her eyebrows shooting up in surprise.