Chapter 5 - The wedding

(I have added an Indian wedding video for a reference)
****

Today is my wedding day. Yes, Naina you're getting married. I still can't understand if this is a dream or not.

After meeting Ishaan, the next day Shivaay bhai, his wife Anika and Ishaan came to Snehabhavan. They gave me a very beautiful white lehenga for the wedding along with so many jewellery too. They also brought dresses for the whole kids in here. It was so kind of them. Shivaay and Maaji discussed and fixed the marriage on the next Monday. Raizada family wanted to keep the marriage a secret because it would attract so much media attention. So the marriage was only a few members. Shivaay, Anika, Maaji, all kids in Snehabhavan and some friends of Ishaan - the wedding list was that short. I asked why Ishaan's parents aren't coming and Shivaay said they are in an important business trip and they are completely okay with having this wedding without them. I looked at Ishaan while Shivaay was telling me this.
He looked fine but his eyes said something else. He had the same look I had, when I had to sit alone when there was Parents teachers conference at school. I know that feeling of loneliness, the feeling of your parents never wanting to do anything with you.
It hurts. So much.
While Shivaay and Maaji discussed the wedding, Ishaan never looked at me. He was just staring into the nearby window. His mind was somewhere else.
After the marriage was fixed, Ishaan called me the other day to just to have casual talks. Like 'did you had breakfast? How are you feeling?' ...things like that. Our conversation felt so forced.

Then the wedding day came. It was held at Raizada resort. The wedding venue was decorated with white flowers and lights. It felt like a scene from Disney movie. The lehenga they gave me was so beautiful. It probably would have costed a fortune. The makeup artist came and did my makeup. She said that Ishaan wanted me to have minimal makeup, because he thinks my natural features are more beautiful.

Oh damn...Ishaan thinks I don't need makeup. Seems like he is mistaken me with somebody else. I don't think even plastic surgery can fix my hollow cheeks.

The makeup artist, she gave me a beautiful nude style makeup with a rosy lips. I loved it. I saw myself in the mirror and I almost didn't recognise myself. I had rosy cheeks and lips, my eyes were popping...I never knew my eyes were...kinda beautiful.

Then the time came. I have to walk down the aisle to him. I stood there contemplating whether I should just run away or marry some stranger.
I looked at the kids seated on the wedding altar. They were happy to be in a new dress. They were laughing and playing. It's their first time being in a fancy place. It's because of me they had this chance. I can't ruin this for them.
So I knew what I had to do. I walked down the aisle. I didn't have anyone to walk me down. Suddenly Arjun, the kid I gave my scholarship money for his treatment came to me and held my hand.
"Naina didi, it's because you I'm here. I can't let you walk down the aisle alone. Consider me as your brother and let me walk you down".
Arjun was only 13 years old. He held my hand and walked me down. My eyes started to water thinking about my kids and how much they love me. All the kids were cheering and clapping for me.

Then I saw him. He was in a dark blue Sherwani. Damn he looks so hot.
He was staring at me and watching my every step. He was seated near the priest. Shivaay and Anika was also there at the alter.
I reached the alter. Arjun smiled and went to get a seat. Ishaan gave me his hand and I took it. He helped me to sit.
His hands were cold. I looked at him to see if he was as nervous wreck as me. But he seemed fine. The marriage ceremony happened so fast. I can only remember it as a blur now. Ishaan tied the mangalsutra around me and we walked around the fire holding hands.

 Ishaan tied the mangalsutra around me and we walked around the fire holding hands

Then everyone came and congratulated us.
It all felt like a dream.
The wedding photographers captured every moments of us. They said us to smile so many times. But Ishaan and I both refused to smile.