Chapter Fourteen

The longer we talked with Christopher's friends, the more I realized how little I knew him. I mean, it was always obvious I didn't know him well after knowing him for like a day, but I hadn't really been trying either.

The more I learned about him, the more I started to forgive my parents. Not much, okay? But a little. It was starting to seem like they at least tried to find a match they thought I might be happy with. Still not as good as letting me make my own decisions, but a small consolation prize at least.

Almost after an hour after I sat down beside Josh and started talking with the group of friends, they were still making fun of Christopher and regaling me with stories from his youth.

"Oh! Remember when you thought the rat was lonely and brought it home?" Josh was telling the more embarrassing stories Christopher probably didn't want spread around to his new wife, and I was enjoying them all.

"It was not a rat!" Christopher protested. "It was a squirrel."

It was almost impossible for me to swallow my drink before I burst out laughing. "You brought a squirrel home and into your house?"

"Yes!" Josh broke in before Christopher could answer. "And I think his mom almost died. I heard her scream all the way down the block."

"I was an adventurous kid." Christopher shrugged. "I guess I lost it over time." There was something sad in his eyes when he said that last part. But if anyone else noticed it, they didn't say anything. I'll have to try to remember to ask him about that later.

"Oh, I'm loving the stories, though," I said after taking another small sip of my drink. "I think we should spend more time with your friends."

He leaned over and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I tensed up and started to shrug him off until I remembered I was supposed to be acting married. What would my mom do right now? I frantically thought of every barbeque we'd ever hosted. She'd probably kiss him. But no... I guess the cheek wouldn't be so bad?

So I turned my face toward him and gave him a small kiss on the cheek and then the blood rushed to my face and my whole head felt warm as his friends cheered our kiss. He leaned over and whispered into my ear. "I think they like you, too. You might have to come to these things more often for their sake. I think they'd miss you if you never come back."

"Right," I said without thinking. "They will miss me."

I couldn't see his face, but I could tell by the tension in his arm that I shouldn't have said that. He'd been doing everything he could to make this marriage as comfortable as possible for me. And what did I do in return? Almost gave away my plan. I should really learn to be more careful. And more sensitive.

"Sorry," I whispered. "I shouldn't make fun. And I didn't mean it. I'm sorry."

Why am I repeating myself so much?

He kissed my hair but didn't answer, choosing instead to rejoin the conversation with his friends. I could still feel the heat in my cheeks, though I wasn't sure if it was the embarrassment or the drinks. Probably both.

I managed to engage with Christopher and his friends as they told stories about their childhoods and asked me questions about mine. It wasn't long, though, before Christopher's mother came over and asked me to help her in the kitchen.

I turned to face Christopher, desperation in my eyes, hoping he would understand and help me get out of the situation. Or at least come with me.

She must have seen the look, because before Christopher or I could say anything, she grabbed my hand and pulled me to standing. "You can call me Eloise, dear. And I promise we won't do anything too strenuous. Do you have any allergies?"