Chapter Twenty

Mother and I were fighting each other for hosting duties, dishing out beans and roast in tandem. Halfway through serving dinner, Christopher shifted his attention to my dad. "What do you know about me, sir? Is there anything you'd like to know?"

I was endlessly thankful that Christopher was taking charge of the conversation. I sat and ate silently while Christopher and Dad talked to each other. I could feel Mom looking at me from across the table but ignored her by swishing my vegetables around my plate a little.

Christopher distracted me with his answer to my dad's newest question. "Well, I'm an architect. I've been given two weeks off to settle into this married life, but I do have to do some work from home, or I'll get too far behind."

Dad nodded as though he understood exactly what Christopher was going through, though I'm not sure he does.

"And how many hours do you usually work as an architect?" Dad kept the line of questioning on Christopher's work and I was grateful for it. "It sounds like a pretty busy job."

"Yes, it can be pretty busy. But I'm pretty well established now. Usually it's no more than thirty hours a week, but occasionally emergencies or rush orders happen and I have to work longer hours."

"That's nice." Dad looked at me while he talked. "Aubrey used to work far too many hours. I'm glad she won't have to work anymore."

I tried to keep my straight face, but I ended up choking on my drink and coughing as liquid sputtered out of my mouth.. Who told him I was quitting my job? I'm not quitting my job. I love my job.

Christopher walked around the table to make sure I was okay before answering my father. "We haven't discussed Aubrey quitting her job, sir. I'm not sure she will be."

The looks my parents shot Christopher tell me they didn't anticipate he might agree with me rather than them. At least some good came out of today.

After several minutes of silence, during which Christopher got me some water, my parents started talking again as though nothing had happened.

"So, how do you like your new house?" Dad asked me.

"I like it a lot, actually." I took a bite of some food so I had a few times to think.

"Tell me about it," Mom interjected. "I want to know what it looks like."

You mean you don't know? That must be killing you.

Christopher looked at me for an answer before taking the reins. "I designed it, but had a friend decorate it. So we both got to see it together when we met. I think we're both very pleased with it, but we aren't moved in yet so we aren't really ready for guests."

Mom looked directly at me the whole time he was speaking. I couldn't tell if her displeased look is because of my maybe not quitting work or if it's because she knew Melody had been over to our house. Mel doesn't usually tell my parents things, but sometimes they ask her and she doesn't realize what she's saying, so it's possible.

The rest of lunch passed with only vague pleasantries and talk of the local sports team while I busied myself with shoving food into my mouth until I felt ready to burst. Thankfully, there was no rule about the quality of my conversational skills; simply being in the room fulfilled my requirement to Match Made.

At 1:15 pm, mom surprised me by standing up. "I think it's time for us to go our separate ways. I know we said 1:30 but I think we're done here and your father and I are very busy."

"Let me help you clean up." I grabbed Christopher's plate and followed Mom into the kitchen.

"What else can I do?" I asked once all the dishes were in the dishwasher. "I can pack up the leftovers if you want."

"That's fine, thanks." Mom didn't look at me while she spoke. "I think it's best if you just go." Her voice quivered as though she were about to cry. She never cried.

Suddenly I felt like the worst daughter for how I'd been treating her. I mean, I was still mad, but maybe I should at least give her a chance to tell me her side of the story. Then I can hate her properly. But if she did this maliciously, why is she crying? Because it didn't work? Doesn't sound like her.

"Why?" I asked her, finally. There was no context to my question, which I only realized after the words left my mouth.

"Why what, Aubrey? It's pretty clear you don't want to be here. So it's best if you just go."

"No." I was determined to stand my ground and get to the bottom of who decided on the match. "I want to know why you sent me a match the very minute I turned twenty-five."

"Because it's the law, Aubrey." She rubbed her temple while she spoke to me, like I was the one causing her trouble. "I don't know why you have so much trouble understanding that."

"It's the law that you're allowed to do it," I countered. "There's no law saying you have to do it that fast. You didn't even tell me! Why do you think I don't deserve any say in my own future?"

"You had plenty of time to have a say in your own future!" She started to raise her voice, and I was certain they could hear her in the next room. "You had years to find someone to marry or even date and you just weren't trying. You were all about your work and didn't seem at all interested in finding someone to marry. If I thought you were actually trying, I might have left it."

I couldn't help my face and I scoffed at her explanation. "Did it ever occur to you" -- my voice is quiet, by firm -- "that I might not be trying to find a husband because I didn't want one yet?"

"It did, yes."

That's not what I was expecting.

"So, then, why? Why didn't you let me try?"

"I've answered this already, Aubrey." She looked out the window rather than at me as she continued. "I don't think you were actually going to try. We had hoped you would show some interest in dating on your own but it just didn't happen."

I tried to cut in but she pressed on. "And when we saw Christopher come up on your available matches..." She looked back at me. "When I saw Christopher come up on your available matches, I knew we had found the one for you. I didn't want to have to do it for you, but I couldn't risk letting him go just to give you another year of not trying."

Not where I saw that going.

"So, I know you wanted more time. And I know you might hate me for this forever but I couldn't risk it, Aubrey. I couldn't wait five years and then have you still have you settling for someone who wasn't good for you." She paused and when she continued, her voice was barely above a whisper. "We only want what's best for you, Aubrey. And I know we don't always agree on what that is. But please believe me. I did what I thought was best for you."

"I don't know," I sigh. "I'm not sure I can believe that. You didn't even talk to me about it. I know you think that's what happened. But I'm not sure. I just need some time. Thanks for dinner."

I couldn't wait for her to answer. Instead, I chose to put the towel I was holding down on the counter and walk out of the kitchen and into the dining room. "Thanks for dinner, Dad. Have fun this afternoon." The tears were brimming my eyes and my voice betrayed me, but no one commented on it.

"It was very nice to meet you, Sir," Christopher said, shaking my dad's hand. "I'm sorry we don't have more time to get to know each other. I'll take good care of her."

Dad nodded and firmly shook Christopher's hand. "Thank you, son."

And the tears spilled over. I don't even know what to think right now. I was finally leaving my parents house and, if it was possible, I was simultaneously more and less upset than I was when I showed up. Why is everything with my family so damn confusing?