Chapter 34

As soon as Fang Zhi Chen returned to the small courtyard that he resided in, he hurriedly asked someone to call Pei Shi.

Pei Shi walked in with a dejected expression and said, "Son, I'm afraid your marriage with Eldest Young Miss Yu will not work out."

Fang Zhi Chen's face, who was originally filled with anxiety, smiled when he heard this and he asked, "Did something happen?"

"Both of your bazis are incompatible. If you still marry regardless of this, there will be continuous calamities or even worse, it will harm the offspring in the future. Therefore, the marriage is not possible, and the Yu family returned the Gengtie[1]."

"Why don't mother send your son's Gengtie again to check if it's compatible?"

"What is there to check? The person who read both of your bazis is Baiyan temple's master, known as the living immortal and his readings are accurate." Pei Shi waved her hands repeatedly.

"Son is asking you to take the Gengtie and check if it is compatible with the Yu family's di Young Miss." The tips of Fang Zhi Chen's ears were flushed. He muttered, "Son just saw her once by the lake. I really like her a lot. Son begs mother to fulfill this son's wish."

Pei Shi was happy at first and then hesitated, "Son, it's good that you are willing to marry the di daughter, but she can't walk. Who will take care of your inner affairs? Who will give birth and raise your children? Who will serve you? These are big problems. You can't make a decision on impulse! No matter how good she looks, you can't use it to live, right?"

Fang Zhi Chen was troubled, but he couldn't forget Yu Xiang's beautiful and charming face. After deliberating for a long time, he said, "Mother, let's take Cousin in first. Let her help take care of my inner affairs and bring up my children. Miss Yu will just need to be my di wife with a peace of mind."

If it wasn't for the fact that the imperial court had made an investigation into the salt tax, Pei Shi would have ordered his son to marry her niece, and would not have attempted to use his marriage as a business transaction. When Pei Shi heard that, she was overjoyed and had even clapped her hands continuously and said, "Excellent, excellent. Let's do that. I will write a letter to my elder sister and ask her to prepare it as soon as possible."

Pei Shi's brother-in-law passed away early, leaving her elder sister and her di daughter to struggle to survive. Because Pei Shi and her elder sister's relationship were very close, Pei Shi built a manor nearby to help and take care of her. Her niece was also brought up as if she was her own daughter. Even though the two sisters did not explicitly say so, they both had the intention of marriage. Although now she would be brought in as a concubine, Yu Xiang would merely be a decoration. She had explained clearly to her elder sister so she would definitely agree.

Fang Zhi Chen pondered for a moment, then hesitated and said, "Let's not. It's better to wait for Miss Yu to marry into the family before marrying younger cousin, so that the Yu family wouldn't be dissatisfied."

Pei Shi wasn't happy, and sneered, "For what reasons would the Yu family be dissatisfied? The fact that we are willing to take in that crippled is their family's blessing for generations. You are the third place candidate appointed by the Emperor. You are not only talented and handsome but you also have a promising future ahead of you. Why can't you marry the person you wish to marry? Instead, her family should be overjoyed that I'm willing to let my remarkable son marry their family cripple."

Pei Shi patted her son on the shoulder and continued, "Son, don't look at how great their family is. With Yu Xiang's condition, I'm afraid nobody would want her in this life. It's only a stop-gap measure for us to marry her. In the future, when your father gets out of this predicament and you have achieved meteoric success in your career, this position as a Madam in the house should not be occupied by a disabled person. Since you are quite popular amongst ladies, mother can also send a letter to the clan elders to fight for the position as a pingqi[2] for Qian'er. When she is in our hands, she would be at our mercy."