Chapter 24

Marcel arrived at eleven-thirty exactly.

"Nice dress," he said with a respectful nod, thinking she made a good choice with her outfit. She'd chosen one of Cami's velvet dresses, which was so dark, it could technically be seen as black in a dim-lighting setting. It had a straight across neckline with thin straps that would go over her back, along with a leg slit where she'd hidden a syringe with vervain, and a knife that'd been dipped in it (A:N: Reference Lulus Everything I Do Navy Blue Velvet Cowl Neck Mermaid Maxi Dress).

"Thanks," Natanya responded, nodding thankfully when he opened the door for her. "What's this for?"

"It's a masquerade theme," he said, handing her a black mask. "Put it on. It won't stop The Strix from sensing you're a werewolf, but it could at least keep your identity concealed for a bit longer."

"Good idea." She slowly put the mask on, glad it didn't ruin her makeup. Cami had helped her put on false eyelashes, which felt incredibly weird, but also made her swell slightly with pride in her own appearance. "You look nervous."

"I am," he admitted, starting to drive. "Vampires around six times my age are going to be there. Vampires mostly from Elijah's sireline. I'm going to be the odd one out."

"If you need any sort of help getting out of there, I've got your back," Natanya promised. "You're helping me get in. I'll be helping you get out if things go wrong."

"You do know Elijah might throw you out if he sees you there?"

"He wouldn't throw me out. He can be mad all he wants, but if he's so worried about protecting me, he could have let me go with him."

The two walked into the Davilla Estate, wearing nearly identical black masks, arm in arm and feeling equally worried the deeper they got into the building.

"I don't suppose there's room to have a conversation of any sorts in here," said Natanya, peering around and seeing that many vampires were staring at her, not oblivious to what she was. "Ears everywhere."

It was perhaps the most formal setting that Natanya had ever been in. There seemed to be a 1920s theme to it, with human burlesque dancers in flappers. The music was blasting all around the building, and Natanya could feel it rumbling in her very bones. Everything seemed to shine, and the clothes worn by the other attendees looked to be quite pricey.

"Marcel."

They both looked up to see a woman in a silver dress making their way toward them. She was holding up a mask to match, suspended on a stick that she held delicately in her hand. She lowered it as she ended up right in front of them. "Welcome," she said. "I was unaware that you were bringing a friend. I admire your confidence."

"My friend here just wanted to have some fun for a change," said Marcel, removing his mask, though Natanya kept hers on. "Hope it isn't a problem."

"Not at all," said the woman, nodding at her. "I simply ask that you wait behind while I introduce Marcel to some of our other members."

Natanya and Marcel shared a look, and the wolf nodded. "Of course," she said with a bit of a tight-lipped smile. "I'll go get myself something to drink."

The other woman seemed to glare at her as she led Marcel away. Natanya refrained from rolling her eyes, walking off to the side, though she stopped in her tracks when she saw Elijah walking in with Hayley and Jackson. They wouldn't have recognized her if she'd just walked past them, but because she stopped, it gave Elijah specifically the chance to sense she was there.

He moved forward, seizing her arm. It wasn't excessively rough, but he was obviously displeased to see her there. "I recall telling you not to come here," he said, linking their arms so he could lead her into another room.