Chapter 36

They gathered in the upstairs study.

Finn had been called in, of course, considering it was Freya who was in danger. If it had been anyone else, he probably wouldn't have gotten out of bed.

"Davina, listen," they saw Vincent Griffith saying, via a video he'd left behind for Davina in the St. James Infirmary. "I know we are not on the best of terms, but I need you to listen to me, okay? Um... we're in serious trouble. Now, I'm recording this here because it's— it's free from magic, and magic is our enemy. The Ancestors got me on the hook doing some pretty twisted magic, and I want no part of it, but they're forcing me to help Lucien Castle. And, if you don't help me, Freya Mikaelson's gonna die."

That sounded terrifying. The three brothers all shared a look as Vincent continued speaking. "Before they forced me to take her, they had me put up a cloaking spell, so we can't be tracked. Now, Lucien's taking us out of town someplace, I don't know where... but there's a loophole."

"You," said Kol as he paused the video, looking directly at Finn.

Finn made a face. "Just how am I the loophole?"

Kol spoke impatiently, "Last year, when Esther first brought us back, I got put in the body of a gormless twit, but you got housed in one of the most powerful witch bodies in the city— Vincent's. And, even after all this time, there's still an echo of a body-soul connection between you two."

He started to play the video again, and Vincent said, "And Davina, that's where you come into play. I need a powerful witch that's off the Ancestors' radar." He held up his hand to the screen, using a knife to cut his palm, leaving some of his blood in a vial, which Davina was currently holding. "I want you to find the thread between me and Finn."

Elijah pursed his lips, looking at the young witch. "Have you ever done anything like this?"

"I don't even know if it's possible," said Davina honestly. "But, I do have Vincent's blood. If I can take Finn's blood and do the spell right, I should be able to track Vincent down."

"I should have sensed something was wrong when Freya didn't call," said Finn dejectedly. "Now Lucien has a head start." He made a gesture, shooing Davina away. "Go, witch. Tend to your spells. I won't rest until she's found."

Kol scoffed. "Behold, the selfless martyr! First, he wants to rip Davina's head off for trapping him in his body. Now he can't wait to be spelled."

Elijah quickly got between them before the two brothers could begin to fight. "Finn... you and I shall go together. Kol, you stay here with Davina."

"You're going with him?" snapped Kol. "So, the two people responsible for not destroying the white oak when they had the chance, thus putting us in this bloody mess, are now off to try and fix it. That's just marvelous. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?"

"Kol, look at me," said Davina, looking mildly afraid at his outburst. "I don't know this magic. I need your help."

"What do I do in the meantime?" asked Natanya. "I don't have work today, I could get a couple of wolves to help me track her."

"Perhaps you'd be safer here, or in the Bayou," said Elijah.

"No, I don't want to be anywhere stuck indoors, unable to help! Freya needs all hands on deck, I bet that a few of the wolves and I could get to them in no time!"

Elijah shook his head. "It is unwise. We know not what Lucien is planning, it could be a trap, it could be—"

"We don't know, exactly. So maybe there's strength in numbers when facing the uncertain. I'm not asking for your permission, you know, I just want to know how I can help, because I will help."