Chapter 23: Summer

I was sure there were plenty of girls who would love to swap places with me right now.

And I knew that they would have called me crazy for wanting to back out of this last minute, but I was already here, and I had a job to do.

I parked the car in the driveway and killed the engine. I burrowed my mother's car since she came home from work early today. She said the office wasn't that busy, and she was glad to have Friday off to do some online shopping.

I allowed myself to take three deep breaths before putting on my game face. I purposely came earlier than Jason asked. Maybe the earlier I visited, the earlier I could leave.

I rang the doorbell. I had expected the housekeeper or butler to come running; instead, it was Jason who let me in.

Jason's eyes widened for a fraction of a second. "Summer. You're early."

"You didn't give me a time frame." My eyes went to the sweat dripping from his brow.

"Yup. You're right. It was my fault." He took the blame quickly. "I was doing a workout, but come on in." I stepped into the foyer. "Shoes off, please."

I quirked a brow. Jason's in his old form today. I could tell from how he greeted me. He sounded like the old Jason that didn't go turning his back on his friends.

"I need a shower, but I'll give you a quick tour of the first floor."

The house was nice. Would I want to live here? Probably not. Only because there was wood paneling everywhere, and I could see myself doing more renovations than actually living in the space.

"Right here." He opened a door. "Is the powder room. Then down the hall is my dad's office.

Bingo!

We made a full circle back to the family room with the big television. "I really should grab a shower," Jason said.

"I mean, I wasn't going to say anything." I pinched my nose, fanning the fake stench away.

He chuckled. "I'll be back. Make yourself at home." He patted the armrest of the couch.

"K, thanks," I told him. I plopped onto the couch, throwing my hands over my head. I was overselling this whole thing, but it didn't throw Jason off.

He headed out of the room, and I gave it another five minutes before leaping into action.

I darted for the mayor's office. I should have known it wouldn't have been easy as one two three to get in.

There was a pin code lock on the door.

What the heck. I was no hacker. I didn't know how to get around this, and I wanted to call the mission a failure already.

I released a disappointed sigh and rested my head against the cool mahogany. To make myself feel better, I decided to try to punch in two codes. What's the worst that could happen? I've never heard of someone getting locked out of anything after two wrong codes.

The first one was something simple like his election day. The pin pad lit up red. Okay, that was a fail. Final and last try, no pressure or anything.

I stared at the numbers as they could speak to me. Then I tried another code that sprouted into my head. I held my breath, and... the pin pad lit up green. My jaw nearly dropped, and I wanted to jump for joy.

"As his assistant, I set up all the passcodes and security for the mayor. This is kind of like classified information, but most of the things that need to be accessed by pin codes or passcodes are the exact two that I use for almost everything. It's the same pin code that I have on my phone. That guaranteed that I wouldn't forget them."