Chapter 26: Summer

So I was grounded for the next few days.

Mom only excused me today because I liked to visit Gramps on Sundays.

But I was banned from watching TV, and I nearly lost my laptop privileges until she realized I needed it for school. And I was allowed to have my cellphone when I was going out, but when I got back home, I had to hand it in.

I wouldn't consider this a harsh punishment by any means, but it was the worst one I've ever had.

I was the kid who obeyed her parents, rarely got in trouble, and mostly got good grades in the few advanced classes that I've managed to take.

I didn't think Mom knew what to do with me at this point. Between the fight, I stepped into the middle of my outburst during dinner and me escaping to a friend's house without permission. Mom looked like she had her hands full for the first time.

Well, every kid goes through a rebellious phase, right. I guess this was mine.

I let out a dry laugh as I got out of the car. I should feel bad about all of this, but I regretted nothing. I was helping a friend, speaking my mind, and... okay, the last one was a bit impulsive. I could admit that much, but I've spent months wondering what could have come between Cam and me. I wanted to run to him and tell him when I found out. I wanted to clear everything all up. But there was still the pesky missing fact that Cam hadn't given me his reason for his actions. Did I care? Yes and no. Yes, because it must have been a pivotal moment in his life, and no, because it was Cam. I trusted him, and there was nothing about that night that he could tell me that would change my mind about him.

This goes without saying, but when Cam was ready to talk, I'd be all ears. Until then, I'll have his back, and I hoped that would be enough.

I pulled my phone out of my back pocket. I was still debating whether or not I should publish my drafted blog post. It was about the businesses possibly getting demolished because the mayor wanted to rebuild on it. I didn't specifically mention the salon, but it was one of the few businesses on that street that would be affected.

I still couldn't believe it... No, actually, I could believe that the mayor was capable of something this petty. The plans for the hotel didn't come to fruition until a month after Cam's arrest.

But let's say that the mayor did have plans for this hotel four months ago. There were multiple unoccupied lots in the town and a few creepy yet abandoned buildings that he could also transform. It just doesn't make any sense, and it was not right.

I didn't know if the other business knew what would happen yet, but I think they should be. If this was going to move forward no matter what, they should have time to prepare. Who knew when the mayor would pop in with the wonderful news.

I mentally rolled my eyes.

Staring back down at the screen, "I should it publish and get it over with. What are the odds of this blowing up anyway? Plus, it'll feel like a slap in the face to the mayor if it goes public sooner rather than later." A smirk found its way onto my face. "Yup, I'm going to do it," I whispered, watching the post go live.

I walked with a bit of pep in step this morning. I might as well take in all the fresh air and limited freedom.

I greeted everyone at the front desk before heading down to Gramps' room. I knocked once, noting that it was quiet on the other side.

Anyone would assume Gramps was sleeping, but I knew better. That man never slept, let out took a nap.

I turned the doorknob slowly, peeking my head in before sliding the rest of my body through the tiny slit I made.