Chapter 25: Summer

The GPS on my phone said it was a 45-minute walk, so you could imagine how relieved I felt when I made it to the front door. I sent a quick prayer out to the universe about how grateful I was that I lived in a small, relatively crimeless town.

I rang the doorbell twice as I stood on the porch, shifting my weight from my left to the right foot. I felt a pulse at the bottom of my feet, and I glared at the high-heeled boots that my mom had insisted that I wore.

The door flung open, and Cam's eyes widened. "Summer!"

"Summer?" Suho repeated somewhere in the house.

I waved lamely, nibbling on my lower lip. "Hey. Can I come in?" I smiled warily.

Cam blinked at me repeatedly before stepping back and opening the door wider. A silent invitation.

"Thanks." I slipped off my shoes, and my feet thanked me. My jacket was next.

Cam took it from me, hanging it on the coat rack. "I'm sorry. I am interrupting guy's night." I wanted to see him.

Cam shook his head then a slow grin appeared. "You're welcomed to stop by anytime." He brought me into a hug. "Who gave you a ride over? I didn't see any cars outside."

"Uh..."

Cam's brows pinched together then he finally got a good look at what I was wearing. It's not every day you stop by a friend's place in a cocktail dress, stockings, and peacoat.

"It's a long story. I'll catch you up later." I smiled, hoping that he wouldn't push the subject right now.

He nodded. "By the way, you look beautiful tonight."

I bit my bottom lip and squeezed my eyes shut. "Can you not?" I muttered.

Cam released a deep chuckle.

I heard footsteps descending, and then Suho was in front of me, throwing his arms around me. "Hey, bestie."

I heard Cam snicker, and I caught him rolling his eyes.

"Don't be jealous." I reminded him with a teasing smirk.

"Yeah, yeah."

The doorbell rang again, but this time it was the pizza guy.

"Looks like I have perfect timing." Those pellets they fed me at dinner were long forgotten when the smell of bacon and pepperoni hit my nose.

Cam waved us towards the dining room, placing the food in the middle of the table. "I'll grab some plates and drinks." He disappeared into the kitchen, coming back with plastic plates and bottles of iced tea.

The three of us sat down.

"Where's your mom?" I asked. I hadn't seen or heard from her since I walked in. If she's already asleep, I hope I didn't disturb her.

The corners of Cam's lipped tipped up. "She left a few minutes before you came. She had a date tonight." He looked happy for her, so I was guessing that he liked whoever it was that she went out with.

Suho flipped the lids open and said, "Have you ever seen something so beautiful?" He gazed longingly at the pizza and wings. "Food has always been and will forever be my first love." After his declaration, he grabbed a napkin and placed a slice of pizza on our plates before getting one himself.

I said thank you in Korean, and his eyes lit up adorably.

"Food is a good first love to have. It will never hurt you. And it always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy."

"I'd never hurt you." Cam's gaze locked on me, but I didn't meet his eyes directly. "And don't I make you feel warm and fuzzy?" He smiled into his first bite.