Chapter 8

*Gemma POV*

"Hey Sunshine," Daniel says as he walks in.

I look up and raise an eyebrow. "Sunshine?"

Daniel looks hopeful. "Do you like it?"

I cringe a little.

"You don't then," Daniel says. "THat's alright. I'm working on nicknames."

"Or," I say, smiling. "You could just call me by my name."

"But where's the fun in that," Daniel pouts. Then his face lights up. "Oh, I've got it! Precious."

I frown. "What did you just call me?"

"Precious," Daniel says. He smiles a little. "Like a precious stone is a gem? So precious?"

"No," I say. I shook my head. "That one sounds girly and generic."

Daniel sighs. "Okay. What about Princess?"

"That one also sounds girly," I say. "And even more generic. Half the boyfriends in the world call their girlfriends 'Princess'. If you're going to pick a nickname, pick a unique one. We're not going to be a generic couple."

"You're impossible," Daniel throws up his arms in exasperation. His eyes widen and he slowly turns to me. "Gem."

"What?" I ask.

"Gem," Daniel says. "Do you like it?"

That one brings a small smile. "I like that one."

Daniel pumps his fist. "Yes! I got it!" He does the cabbage patch, dancing around in a circle in the middle of my bedroom.

I laugh. Girls, if you're reading this, get yourself a dork. It makes life so much more interesting.

Then I glance at my computer and everything comes rushing back.

"So, Daniel," I say. "You wouldn't... by any chance know what this is?"

Daniel bends down to see it. His eyes scan over it. I can see a look of fear briefly pass over him, and I know. He did this. He masks it quickly though.

"What?" He asks. "I didn't know you auditioned! You're going to be amazing."

"Don't play dumb," I say. "You did this, didn't you?"

Daniel sighs. "There really is no hiding anything from you. Yes, I entered you. With help."

"Whose help?" I ask.

"I couldn't do it by myself," Daniel says. "I don't have access to your songs. I couldn't get them. So I enlisted help."

"Again, whose help?" I ask.

"You promise not to be mad?"

"No."

"Fair enough," Daniel shrugs. "Crystal's."

"Danny-"

"I know, I know, I shouldn't have gone behind your back," Daniel says. "But I knew you'd never do it by yourself. And I wanted people to see your talent. See you for more than the quiet girl with PTSD. You know?"

I heave a sigh.

"I love you, Gemma," Daniel gets down on one knee in front of me and takes my hand. "I would never do anything to purposefully hurt you, okay? I just... I'm sick of people not taking you seriously. And this is the best way for them to see that. Please don't be mad at me. And please don't be mad at Crystal. She was helping me. I take full responsibility. Don't get mad at her, Gem."