Ch. 24: Barren

Ayaara's P.O.V.

The art pieces on the walls were hanging by their corners, several broken appliances and photo frames flooded the floors, the sofas were flipped over, the dining table was collapsed, and trail of more shattered glass led to the bedrooms.

Yasir slid out his phone and dialed the police.

I lowered to my knees as tears filled my eyes, picking up one of our family photos that included Ami.

I had spent a lot of time in this house during my childhood and after I moved to England. I made so many memories here. Abba bought this house partially in Ami's memory. Seeing it in this state was heartbreaking.

Yasir's P.O.V.

I helped Ayaara up while tears cascaded down her cheeks. She looked around the vandalized place despairingly.

I followed after her as she walked through the house cautiously. All the rooms appeared as though a tornado had hit them.

"How am I supposed to tell Abba?" her voice quavered when we returned to the living room, "He doesn't need this stress at his age. And Bhaijaan? He has a baby on the way. He shouldn't be dealing with this now."

Her face then fell, "Bhabi's pregnant. Had she been home alone-" she shook her head, "No. No, I don't even want to think about it."

Two pairs of footsteps approached us from the corridor leading to where we were standing.

"Officer Bradley," he introduced himself to us before gesturing at his counterpart, "And this is my partner, Officer Griffin."

Officer Griffin approached Ayaara while Officer Bradley gave me a subtle knowing nod, which I returned, before joining his partner.

After inspecting the house, taking fingerprints and samples, asking her a series of questions, and reviewing the security camera footage, only to find that the recording had been stopped the last 24 hours, the policemen were finally ready to leave. They would be in contact with her and inform her of any updates regarding who is responsible for the damage.

Once they left, Ayaara looked at me with sad eyes before engulfing me in a hug. My arms kept at my sides before they hesitantly wrapped around her, my hands remaining balled in fists.

"I don't get it. Nothing was stolen, so why did they do this?" I heard her say with her head on my chest.

"I don't know."

She pulled back and looked up at me, "Intimidation? Do you think they were trying to scare my family?" Her gaze met the floor as she thought about it, "If so, but why?... And the cameras had been cut. It all had to be planned."

She pulled her phone out when we heard it vibrate, "Bhaijaan," she wiped her cheeks, "I have to go find the file. Bhaijaan will get worried. I can't tell him and spoil everything. Once things settle down, I'll try to figure out a way to tell them."

Ayaara and I went to what I figured was her brother's bedroom and found the file under some rubble.

She gave the house a lingering look before following me to the car.

Her hand slid into mine, making me turn around and face her, "Thank you, Yasir. If you hadn't been here- I don't know. When I saw everything, I just, I couldn't think straight. Thank you."

I gave her a nod and took the file from her, "I have to go to my office. Something came up. I will scan this and email it to you. You can forward it to your brother. Meanwhile, I'll drop you to Ami."

"Thank you."

Ayaara's P.O.V.

I turned to Yasir, who was silent the entire car ride, with confusion when we reached the hospital, "I thought we were going to your hou-"